Brazilian Butt Lift / Butt Implants in USA vs. Colombia

Hi, I am 21, interested in a Brazilian butt lift or implants & was debating whether to do in the US or going abroad such as Colombia. I hear many people go abroad to get it done. Is it worth it? I don't even know where to start to look for a doctor over there. Also, should I do a fat transfer or get implants based on my body frame. I am afraid that I am too wide to look hourglassey such as Kim Kardashian. What should I do? I want my hips to pop out too, is it achievable?

Buttock augmentation- where to have the procedure done

+2

Based on your photos I would recommend a fat transfer over implants, as this will allow more opportunity for reshaping your hips as well. I would not advise having surgery in another country in the event that you have a complication it will be difficult to have adequate follow up and treatment.

I will be actually be traveling to Colombia in a few months to observe their techniques with this procedure and I'm sure they have many excellent surgeons, but be careful if you plan to leave the country for any type of healthcare.

Dr.Bruno

Brazilian Butt Lift in the USA

+1
This is a great question as both the Brazilian Butt Lift and the butt implants are good procedures that each have their place. Lets discuss the difference between the two, but ultimately you need to see your board certified plastic surgeon to help guide you to which procedure is best for you!

Brazilian butt lift (fat transfer to the buttock) is so popular because it enables your plastic surgeon to transform your entire shape. Liposuction is performed over several areas depending on the individual patient needs, but typically of the flanks, abdomen, back and thighs. This is an amazing procedure because it allows your surgeon to tailor your results to your individual needs and desires!

The amount of fat needed depends on the shape and needs of each individual patient, however in general at least 500cc per buttock need to be placed to see a significant difference. On average patients typically receive around 800cc per buttock side for a total of 1600cc of fat transfer. However just like a breast augmentation the amount of fat needed various from patient to patients. Also the sculpting done with the liposuction is a big part of the procedure to improve the overall shape.

If a patient has a BMI less than 22 they typically will not have enough fat for the Brazilian butt lift. In these patients buttock implants are a good option for our thin patients.

Some patients have both the fat transfer and implants as this helps improve the overall shape and give them more augmentation than would be possible with either procedure alone.

In terms of where to have your surgery that is a personal decision but in the United States you have the ability to check a surgeon’s credentials prior to surgery. I would recommend that you have your surgery done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Johnny Franco, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift / Butt Implants in US vs. Colombia...

+1

In my opinion, I feel the Brazilian butt lift is the better procedure for you versus butt implants.  A Brazilian butt lift looks natural, and it would avoid possible positioning problems with the implants.  I would strongly suggest that you get the procedure done in the US.  If pricing is an issue, there are many different financing options that you can use to best fit your financial capability.  The primary reason to have the surgery in the US is the need for postoperative appointments and the small possibility of complications.  If you plan to stay in Colombia for an extended period of time, then there are many qualified people to see, but if you are going to return to the US right after surgery, then the procedure should be done in the US.  That way any complications, rare as they may be, can be dealt with by the same surgeon.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian butt lift and buttock implants and tourist cosmetic surgery

+1

Given your photos, I would suggest a Brazilian butt lift (fat injections to the buttocks) over buttock implants.  I believe the result would with the Brazilian butt lift would look as good as the buttock augmentation with implants,  yet it would feel softer and more natural.   Also the potential for long term complications - infections and implant displacement or hardening - would be much less with the Brazilian butt lift.  I would avoid tourism for cosmetic surgery, if you have a problem after the surgery you will want your plastic surgeon close at hand.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Have surgery in the country where you live.

+1

The Brazilian Butt Lift can do many wonderful things for a patient's appearance, if it is performed in the right situation and by an experienced surgeon.  You can find many wonderful Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who perform this procedure like myself here in the US. 

Unless you already live overseas, I agree with the others that Tourist Cosmetic Surgery can be problematic.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Travel abroad for surgery

+1

In reality, there must certainly be good and bad doctors in Columbia or elsewhere, just as there are here.  However, there are some noteworthy differences. 

Malpractice insurance is required in the US and is often not required in foreign countries.  This means that if something goes wrong during your surgery, this insurance protects both you and the doctor.  Unfortunately, it is not cheap, and it adds to the expense of domestic surgery.

In the US, there are rigorous standards that are universally applicable to surgery centers with the goal of improved safety and reduced infection.  These standards do not exist or are not enforced elsewhere.

Follow up is almost as important as the surgery.  If you suffer a minor complication or expect to achieve adequate follow-up, the commute to the foreign clinic would be difficult.

The stimulus to travel abroad is usually to find a lower price.  But it is important to keep things in perspective.  This is YOUR BODY.  YOU ONLY HAVE ONE.  So if you are considering surgery, do your research.  If you have a friend with great results, this is your best resource.  A personal referral is the best.

Good luck!!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Tourist cosmetic surgery

+1

Tourist cosmetic surgery is mostly done because it might be cheaper. But you may be compromizing on afety, follow up and risk of complications and who will take care of you if a complication happen there or here?