Smoker's Lines - Should I Use Juvederm and Botox in Combination?

I am considering juvederm to lessen "smoker-lines". Do I need Botox and Juvederm together?

No Botox arround the mouth

+3

The best fillers for smoker lines are Restylane or Juvederm.

I do not recommend using Botox around the mouth. With Botox you could carry a risk of decreased lip movement. Any decrease in lip movement is very noticable.

Botox and Juvederm are an option for lines around the...

+2

Botox and Juvederm are an option for lines around the lips. The Botox can be used to help relax the lines and the Juvederm can be used to fill them in.

When using Botox around the lips, great care must be taken, as drooling and difficulty speaking can be side effects. In addition, even with proper infiltration, difficulty with speaking some letters can occur. People with occupations dependent on speaking or singing should probably avoid Botox injections around the lips.

For a more permanent solution to the wrinkles around the lips, consider either an ablative laser technology such as CO2 laser or dermabrasion to smooth out the wrinkles. There is more down time associated with these procedures than with Juvederm but the results are long lasting.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

"Smoker Lines" can often be difficult. When deep, I...

+2

"Smoker Lines" can often be difficult. When deep, I believe several modalities must be used in combination to get best results.

• Fillers, such as Juvederm, add volume to the depth of the wrinkle to "fill the valley".
  • Small amounts of Botox can be used to relax the muscle just a little and further smooth.
  • Resurfacing techniques smooth from the outside, kind of like "sanding to smooth".
  • Mild resurfacing can be done with Microdermabrasion.
  • More aggressive resurfacing can be done with Active-FX Laser, which gives incredible results but does require several days of recovery time.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

If you are talking about lines on the upper lip, then my...

+2

If you are talking about lines on the upper lip, then my preference is to use facial fillers like Juvederm. I am not a big fan of Botox injections into these fine lines. Yes, it can work, but if too much is used you can get a lip droop that looks like you had a stroke, and this will not improve for 4-6 months.

Smoker's Lines

+1

A derma filler is always recommended to treat "smoker's lines". I do not advice Botox injections around the mouth. This could cause pronunciation difficulty, drooling, kissing or lack of mobility. Having the ability to rejuvenate the upper and lower face is always a bonus!

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox may make it difficult to purse your lips

+1

This depends on your facial muscle anatomy, the extent of your conditions and your habits, such as smoking.

Botox for smoker’s lines may make it difficult for you to purse your lips around a cigarette, although smoking reduces your skin's ability to make collagen.

For best results, smoking should be reduced or eliminated anyway. Ask your doctor about what can help you.

Robert A. Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Smoker's Lines

+1

Generally, a filler such as restylane and juvederm provides good quality but short term results.

Perioral laser may be a more lasting treatment of smoker's lines. Botox is generally not utilized in the smoker-lines.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox & Juvederm an excellent combo

+1

Yes. This is an excellent treatment to consider. Please realize though, that there is a small margin of error and flattening of the lip, and certain letters are difficult to pronounce so that singers and wind instrument musicians should not have Botox on the lip.

Ronald Shelton, MD