Can Botox Treat Facial Angioedema?

I have facial angioedema on the left side of my face and it usually flares up during a hormonal swing. I was wondering if Botox would be a viable treatment for this condition?

I currently us a combination of anti-histamines and steroids to treat it, but I would like to try something that may have a longer lasting effect. Thank you.

No reports about Botox for angioedema treatment

+2

Jennifer,

Judging from the photo, you are a very attractive person and certainly don't manifest any overt sign of angioedema there. Unfortunately, I know of no reports recommending the use of Botox for the management of this entity. Hopefully, you are under the care of an allergist or immunologist. If so, for now, stick with your current protocol. It seems to be working phenomenally well. Good luck!

Treatment of Angioneurotic Edema, Does Botox Help?

+2

Hi Jennifer,

Silly Teddy Bear, Botox doesn't work on stuffed animals. Everyone else in the picture looks beautiful.

Kidding aside, I am sorry that you are suffering from angioneurotic edema which is a very serious disorder. I have not heard of Botox being used to treat or prevent, nor can I think of how it would help.

The treatment of angioneurotic edema includes contacting a physician or emergency room at the onset, and then:

1. Antihistamines (e.g., Hydroxyzine for acute attacks)

2. Doxepin (an older antidepressant) helps with chronic (continuous) form

3. Calcium channel blockers

4. Terbutaline

5. Colchicine

6. Danazol

• Plasmapheresis (exchange of plasma in blood) used for rare unresponsive chronic forms

Botox will only help to keep you looking as beautiful as you already do should you develop lines and wrinkles.

Enjoy your beautiful family up there in Bend. Be well and good luck.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Botox and angioedema

+1

I know of no studies suggesting the use of Botox for the treatment of angioedema.  I would caution using it for this condition.

Be careful about "off-label" Botox use

+1

I’m not aware that Botox would prevent the angioedema, but I would caution you that you would risk difficulty utilizing your important smile, eating and speaking facial muscles if Botox were to be administered in the cheeks.

There is a certain amount of diffusion (spread) of the Botox (about the size of a dime to a quarter) depending on the dilution used, and the dose in units can also affect the response. So, if it would decrease the Angioedema, the injections would have to be superficial to try to avoid the muscles below, but they still might become affected and you could develop temporary facial “paralysis” for several months, giving the impression of having had a stroke.

Be careful about this off-label use as I am not aware of Botox having been studied for this condition.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox has no reported effects on Angioedema

+1

Botox has no reported effect on angioedema. However, we have determined that Botox can affect non-cosmetic problems such as excessive sweating and migraine headaches. Therefore, I would start with a conservative dose that would normally be used to treat the forehead and around the eyes. If you see some improvement in these areas on the left side, consider expanding the treatment area.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Botox has not been described as a treatment for angioedema

+1

Jennifer,

Botox has not been described as a treatment for angioedema. However, if all your other options have failed, it would not be worth a try. Any change by Botox would be temporary, as Botox always goes away. However, make sure that the Botox is not injected into a muscle that you would not want paralyzed as this will affect facial animation. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD