Botox Without a Consent Form?

I got Botox and the doctor didn't have me sign a consent form. Am I entitled to a refund?

Botox Consent Form

+1

Did the doctor say to you in his/her consent form or verbally that the Botox may not work? If the doctor did not tell you or the form did not tell you that there was a possibility that Botox would not work, then I believe the professional way of treating this is for the doctor to refund your money.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and consent

+1

Consents may be obtained either verbally or written.  In either case, I would not consider this grounds for a refund.  More important-- are you happy with your Botox?  Most people are extremely satisfied with their treatments.  If you are unhappy with your results, discuss these concerns with your doctor.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Consent for BOTOX =/= Refund

+1

The very fact the question of whether a refund is in order if BOTOX was given without consent argues for a formal written consent for each and every treatment.  As crazy as it sounds, if a physician pierces a patient's skin without consent, that could be construed as battery.  I would hope the legal system would recognize such a claim for its absurdity but we see settlements for absurd claims every day based on technicalities. 

While verbal consent should be adequate there is nothing better in court than a printed consent form with the plaintiff's handwritten signature to answer the question of hwether there was consent.  It protects both the patient and the physician.  Notice the originator of the question wasn't interested in a malpracticeor battery claim as much as getting something for nothing.  It's not like there is a sign posted on the cash register that says, "Your purchase is free if you don't get a receipt."

Barry Stuart Handler, MD

Botox Consent

+1

There are two forms of consent, verbal and written.  Both forms should be given by a patient prior to receiving Botox (or any procedure).  Botox without a consent does not equate with a refund, but is hardly considered good form.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consent for Botox

+1

No formal consent form does not mean a refund. Every office runs differently with regards to consents.  Some have the form signed once some have it signed everytime they patient comes in for treatment.  Some do verbal for small procedures.

Even if Botox didn't work, you are not entitled to a refund whether you signed a consent or not.

+1

You are paying for the doc's time and expertise when you get botox injected.  Most docs use only a verbal consent (not written) for such small procedures.   If you get Botox enough times in your life, you will come across some times that it works better than usual and sometimes when it doesn't seem to work very well.

There is always a fee for a touch up Botox session.  We set ours at $150 if done within 2 weeks of the original session.  Full fee if done again anytime after 2 weeks since it is up to your muscles to absorb the botox.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox without a consent form.

+1

A refund does not = a consent form! Did you have a problem with the injector? Are you not happy with the result? For your unusual question the most appropriate response is Sorry Try Again.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Consent for treatment can be written or verbal

+1

Consent for treatment can be written or verbal.  Lack of a written consent is no grounds for a refund.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Consent Prior to Botox Injection

+1

Every doctor chooses how his or her practice runs.  I personally have patients sign written consent forms and review the forms with patients.  Other physicians have a verbal consent process. 

Regardless of what form of consent a practioner uses, if the service is rendered, in my opinion, you should not be entitled to a refund.  However, this opinion is being given without all of the details of the visit, and you should touch base with your doctor.

Joshua Zeichner, MD

Why should you be entitle to get refund?

+1

I am confused about the logic of asking for the refund. Did you go to see your doctor for mole removal and he by mistake did botox injection? Did your docyor forced you to have botox injection? Did he injected wrong area? if the answer is no so what is the base of even thinking about refund...Your doctor has taken his time to provide you with a service and your should compensate him for the time and effeort.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon