Can a Botox Brow Lift Correct Drooping Brow from Botox Injection?

Botox to Correct Brow Drooping From Botox...Doubtful

Hi Dropper,

Usually brow drop after Botox is from the frontalis muscle (the muscle on your forehead that lifts the brows and creates horizontal lines normally) being over treated. Nicole Kidman, as beautiful and successful as she is, is an example of someone who's frontalis has been silenced.

Most Botox treatments also include the muscles that depress the brow and create the vertical lines between the brows above the nose, commonly referred to as the "11's". If you have been treated in these muscles, then more Botox will not help lift the brows. In the unlikely scenario that these muscles have not been treated then you may get some lift.

Your injecting physician will hopefully know which muscles were injected.

Most likely you will need to be patient for some return of frontalis muscle function to lift the brows.

Be well.

Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely

Botox is basically a balancing act between competing muscle groups, in addition to the usual relaxation of areas that are hyperdynamic or form too many wrinkles.

If you haven't already had this done, it is a nice solution for the drooping brow problem.

The most common cause for a drooping brow is Botox to the frontalis, or up and down oriented muscle of the forehead, causing it to relax and the brows to descend. So while the across the forehead wrinkles are reduced, the brow position must also be considered.

Once you have found a doctor you are comfortable with, you and he or she will be able to micromanage your very individual muscle groups.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Short answer -- YES (if injected correctly)...

A drooping eye-BROW may happen when the brow-elevating muscle in the forehead, the Frontalis, receives too high a dose of Botox, or alternatively, if the Botox is sub-optimally placed too low in the forehead. Of note, it may also happen if you have a low set eyebrow to begin with, in which case any Botox to the Frontalis increases the likelihood of a brow droop. Ironically, a droopy eyebrow from Botox can sometimes be improved with MORE Botox as stated above -- this time injected into the outside part of the eye near the top of the crow's feet (the lateral aspect of the orbicularis oculi muscle) to generate a bit of a brow lift in that area -- by injecting more Botox and paralyzing the orbicularis muscle that normally acts to depress the brow in that area, you may get a slight compensatory brow lift...

My recommendations are to seek the services of an experienced physician injector.

I think the key with Botox lies in truly understanding the anatomy of the injected area, and more importantly the variability in the anatomy between patients -- for brows, the forehead, and anywhere else you plan on receiving a Botox injection. This includes having a firm understanding of the origin, insertion, and action of each muscle that will be injected, the thickness of each muscle targeted, how deep beneath the skin the actual muscle resides, and the patient variability therein. As an aesthetic-trained plastic surgeon, I am intrinsically biased since I operate in the area for browlifts and facelifts, and have a unique perspective to the muscle anatomy since I commonly dissect under the skin, see the actual muscles themselves, and learn "first-hand" the incredible variability between patients -- live, "on the OR table" -- as opposed to via lectures or a cadaver dissection. For me, this helps guide where to inject and where not to. However, with that said, I know many non-aesthetic trained plastic surgeons and other physicians who know the anatomy well despite not operating in that area, and get good results.

Good luck.

Dr Markarian

Botox and the brow

When botox is overinjected, it may cause complete brow descent.  This is very difficult to correct. It is better to undercorrect and touch-up than overcorrect and try to lift the brows by injecting into the eyebrow region to deactivate the orbicularis.

Can More Botox fix my Botox Problem?

The answer to your question is yes, a Botox browlift may be able to help in your situation.

The concern I would have is having the same injector administer the corrective treatment.  It is fairly easy for experienced injectors to avoid a droopy eyebrow so if your practitioner was not able to avoid this side effect to begin with, then it may be a lot to ask to have them fix it with a different technique.

Normally we encourage patients to return to their practitioners when something unexpected happens.  In this situation, we would still encourage you to do that, but would want to know how experienced your injector is before requesting more Botox to remedy the situation.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Unlikely

The "Botox brow lift" is nothing more than paralyzing the lateral part of the obicularis muscle, or eye closure muscle allowing the forehead muscle to pull up the lateral brow. While this does work to elevate the lateral brow slightly it isn't really that significant.

If you're having droop from Botox unfortunately you're going to have to wait until it resolves. In addition perhaps you need a brow lift. If Botox has caused you brow droop I suspect that you have too much droop prior to the injection.

I recommend waiting.

Hi! I have seen too many Botox problems made worse by more Botox. In theory, absolutely. We should be able to raise your brows by relaxing the brow depressors (chiefly the orbicularis oculi muscle) with more Botox.

I understand you are upset, and in 4 months you will be close to baseline again. I think then would be the optimal time to treat you with correctly applied Botox. But you should know that I am very conservative in my approach to problems that are bothersome but not catastrophic.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Depends on the cause of drooping eyebrows

Dropping of the cnetral and inner parts of the eyebrow cannot be treated with a Botox lift.

However, drooping of the outer part of the eyebrow may benefit from a Botox eyebrow lift.

Seek the advice of your injector to see if you are a candidate.