How Do I Find a Good Dental Implants Dentist?

I have a missing tooth (no adult tooth after I lost the baby tooth), and I'm thinking about having an implant to fill the gap. What should I look for in a dental implants dentist? Or will I need some kind of specialist to do this work?

How do I find a good dentist for dental implants?

Start with your dentist and ask him or her for the name of the best specialist in your area. As with any surgery, you want the best and highest trained specialists. If your dentist says he or she does implants surgery and crowns, ask how many they do per day. If I had to select a dentist for dental implants I would want them to do at least 350 to 400 implants a year. This would ensure they have a lot of experience. Also, ask for a few patient names to call and ask for references. Ask the dentist to show you HIS or HER cases photos. Make sure it's their case and not something they purchased. Last but not least, check online reputation of AT LEAST the top 3 periodontists and oral surgeons in your area. Also, ask around at work and your friends if they know any good specialists. Do your homework. One of the worst things that can happen (and I see it a lot in some patients who seek me out too late) is you go to a dentist or surgeon for dental implants, you end up with a bad result and the only thing the surgeon can say is "oh well, sorry!". That's not a good place to be and you won't be happy if you are ever there. DO NOT GO TO THE CHEAPEST surgeon. You will get what you pay for. I have a saying: I WOULD RATHER APOLOGIZE FOR PRICE ONCE, THEN APOLOGIZE FOR QUALITY FOREVER!

Toronto Periodontist

How to find a good dentist for Dental Implants

That’s a terrific question.  The best way to find a good dentist is by asking your friends and co-workers if they like their dentist.  I would then schedule a consultation to make sure you are comfortable with the office, the staff, and the dentist.   Once you find a dentist you trust find out if he places implants himself or if he works with a specialist.  Many dentists have advanced training and years of experience in performing implant surgery.  Others feel comfortable in working with a specialist to place the implant while they restore the implant(s) with a crown or bridge.   One approach is not necessarily better than the other, what’s important is for you to have well trained doctors handling your case.

I would advise you to ask for before and after pictures of implant cases that he performed.   If a doctor is unable to provide those, for any reason, that should raise a red flag.  You can also ask the doctor to provide patients whom you can contact for reference.  You may even ask to come to the office on the same day as another patient who recently had the procedure so you can talk about their experience.  I find that most patients have no problem talking about their procedures with other prospective patients.  What other patients tell about their experience is very valuable and usually extremelly accurate.

Good Luck!

Peter Mann, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Your current dentist can find an implant doctor for you

I generally like periodontists to do the implants for me. They are highly skilled in gum surgery and gum techniques and have advanced education. Some GP's do lots of implants and are good, so it's all about training and experience. Don't go to a new graduate for implants.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Experience is the key

Seek out someone that has decades of experience.  Some Implant Dentists like myself do both the surgical and the restorative phases of treatment themselves.  Some work as teams with a surgeon and dentist.

Many patients prefer dealing with one skilled Implant Dentist with the ability to do both the surgery and the restorative work.  That individual may also have the ability to make things more affordable as well.

Joseph W. Worthington, DDS
Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist

You need to find and be comfortable with a surgical/restorative dental team

Generally, a periodontist will work with a restorative dentist to provide a diagnosis and a plan prior to the implant placement.  The diagnosis is not just sizing up the space and placing the implant.  The bone and soft tissue (gum) volume have to be assessed in order to provide the correct dimmensions for the appropriate implant size.

Anca Bazile, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

How To Find The Best Dentist

Here are some things you can look for in your search for a good dentist or dental specialist (e.g. implant specialist).  Visit several offices to get several opinions.  In the office, you should feel the dentist is current with sciene and technology (using the latest and best materials and techniques). 

You should be able to view cases like yours that the dentist has done well -- make sure the photos are of the dentist's own work.  Check for credentials -- awards, accreditations, certifications, and achievement honors show that the dentist does work that is exemplary.  Also, make sure the dentist's achievements are current -- a dentist who was accredited in the 1980s was using material that are now outdated. 

You should have a good feeling once you find the right dentist/specialist for you.  Take your time visiting practices -- it's an investment in your health and appearance that is worth the time and money it takes to find the best.

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Implant dentists should be trained and experienced

No dentist wants to offer inferior care.  If a dentist is not capable, they make appropriate referrals, no matter what the service is.

If a dentist offers to do an implant, they are likely equipped and trained.  If you have concerns, ask about their experience and perhaps some photos of their own cases. 

A specialist may not be necessary, but is certainly not a bad choice.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist