Blowing Nose After Septoplasty?

On the fifth day after my septoplasty i was half asleep and wasn;t thinking and blew my nose pretty hard. I was instructed not to blow my nose for a couple weeks. Did i do damage to my septoplasty?

Post-operative care after Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty

We generally recommend to our patients that have a Rhinoplasty and/or a Septoplasty that they refrain from blowing their noses for about 2 weeks after the procedure.  Instead we recommend nasal saline irrigations to help clean the nose.  We also recommend that our patients sneeze through their mouths if they must.

I would speak to your surgeon about this instead of worrying much.  Depending on what he did, it may not be anything to worry about.  The surgeon may want to see you just to examine the nose.

Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blowing nose could cause bleeding.

It’s not unusual for patients to have nasal congestion following septoplasty.This is often secondary to swelling with crusting and scabbing within the nasal passage. When this occurs, patients have an irresistible urge to blow their nose.
We general recommend that patients avoid blowing their nose for at least two weeks following routine rhinoplasty and four to six weeks following septoplasty.When patients blow their noses in the early post-operative period, they can potentially damage the nasal mucosa and cause bleeding.For this reason, we generally recommend nasal saline irrigation in the immediate post-operative period.

Blowing your Nose after Septoplasty

It is best not to blow your nose after septoplasty however I would not be over concerned of any damage caused. Make an appointment to see your surgeon and he/she will help put your mind at ease. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD