Treatment for Sunken and Hollow Eyes?

I have a sunken eyes with a shortage of upper eyelid fat. It's genetic and that's what gives me a tired and elderly look. What is the best treatment for this? A fat grafting surgery? Or a fat injection? Pease help. I'm a 28 year old (female) and my problem isn't the extra upper eyelid fat as most people had but the opposite, a shortage of an upper eyelid fat.

Fat Grafting for the Upper Eyelid Filling Hollow Eyelids with Fat Grafting, Fat Transfer

+9
Fat graft the upper lid?  No.  Add fat to the brow-upper lid junction?  Absolutely. This is an excellent question, and I think the wide range of answers is in part an issue of terminology. 
The upper eyelid is a thin structure that normally does not contain any significant amount of subcutaneous fat.  So fat grafting of the upper eyelid itself would not produce an aesthetically pleasing result, and would in fact be quite dangerous to attempt. The area between the brow and the upper eyelid crease, on the other hand, is full of subcutaneous fat in most young people, and that fullness looks youthful.  I refer to this area as the ‘brow-upper lid junction’, and I add fat to make it fuller in the majority of patients for who I perform eye-area rejuvenation surgery. 
Take a look at the eyes of fashion models in advertisements: in most cases you actually see little to none of the upper lid.  What you see is a youthful soft tissue fullness that extends from the brow to the upper lid lashes. As we age, this fatty fullness atrophies and the brow-upper lid junction gradually becomes hollow.  The outline of the bony structures below the brow (the superior orbital rim) becomes visible, and one begins to look older, sometimes even ill, and in advanced stages even skeletal.  In some patients that I treat this appearance is inherited and they have a hollow look at their brow-upper lid junction at a young age.  It is also an appearance that some people have following an overly aggressive upper blepharoplasty, where the surgeon inappropriately removes fat from the brow-upper lid junction. 
Unfortunately, this is a result that quite a few patients get from upper blepharoplasty, and I treat a significant number of these patients who need that fatty fullness restored between their brow and upper lid. Whether hollowness at the brow-upper lid junction is something that was always present, something that has developed with aging, or something that resulted from an overly-aggressive upper blepharoplasty, fat grafting of the brow-upper lid junction can rejuvenate the eye area in a manner that is simply impossible by means of standard blepharoplasty techniques.  It does not look like ‘surgery’, and patients for whom I perform this procedure return to say that their friends and acquaintances think they look great, but they can’t quite put their finger on why.
A word of caution: this is a delicate surgery that requires a significant amount of experience with fat grafting, careful preoperative evaluation, and meticulous surgical technique.  In experienced hands a youthful and aesthetically ideal brow-upper lid contour can be achieved.  Make sure your surgeon can show you numerous photographic examples of brow-upper lid junction fat grafting. .

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Open fat grafting is the best correction for hollow eyes

+7

Dear Shaha,

I am sure many doctors will suggest fat injection or filler injection to correct your hollow eyes.

I strongly urge you not to have injections done into your upper eyelid. There are many very delicate structures in the upper eyelid which can be injured by a needle used for injection, and injury to the levator muscle could give you a droopy eyelid.

The safest and most effective method to plump a hollow upper eyelid, in my opinion, is an open composit fat graft.

During this procedure, I harvest a small amount of fat from around your "belly button" , make a small laser incision in the upper eyelid, and graft the fat directly into the hollow area of your upper eyelid.

This procedure works very well, has been done for many years, and will give you the best result.

Again, avoid injections in this area-it sounds so easy and simple, but the risks are not worth the possible benefit, in my opinion.

Fat on upper lids is not a great idea!

+4

Although I have vast experience with fat transfer in the lower lids, I am not a fan of fat injections in the upper lids for your problems. The fat may make you lumpy and most importantly the excess weight can affect the muscle from working naturally. Although plastic surgeons love to provide answers for all problems, this may be a case of leaving well enough alone.

Fat Grafting

+2

Shaha,

Fat Grafting is likely the best option for you. The synthetic products are also a possibility, however, I feel you will get the most natural result with your own fat. Just make sure you go to someone with extensive experience with fat grafting. Good luck

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com

Fat grafting is excellent for sunken eyes

+2

This is one of the areas that fat grafting really shines. Fat harvested from another part of your body and then reinjected along the upper orbital rim can have very dramatic results. It is usually permanent and has a very high satisfaction rate. If you're not sure, try some Restylane first, it's temporary and reversible.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

Sunken appearing lids

+2

I will refer to the photo you provided. In general, fullness around the eyelids is youthful. Two minimally invasive ways to improve fullness around the eyes are fillers or fat injections. Fillers (non-permanent types) can be a safe way to "test the waters", so to speak, to see if the results are appropriate and appealing. If so, you can then consider having fat injected (which is more permanent). If you do not like the effect of the fillers, then with time they will resorb and you are not stuck with a less than desireable result.

In general, fillers have more reliability and precision compared to fat but not the longevity. Also, not all fillers behave the same around the eyelids so it important to ask your physician about an appropriate filler for this area.

One other comment on the photo is that the upper eyelid is a bit droopy relative to the pupil. If you are considering peri-orbital rejuvenation with a board certified plastic surgeon, you may ask that he or she look at the position of your eyelid as well. I hope that helps.

Treatment for Sunken Eyes

+1
The optimal treatment non-surgically is a hyaluronic acid filler in the infrabrow hollow area done very discreetly. It is important not to over correct. If done as an operative procedure, it can be done with autologous fat by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with expertise in this area.

Fat Grafting to the Upper Lid

+1
Fat grafting can be done to the upper eye hollow, but this is a finesse procedure and you need to be absolutely sure you are seeing a surgeon who has done this and who is board-certified. Very small amounts of fat are injected. Risks include nodules and blindness, so please research your surgeon. Board-certified surgeons are found on plasticsurgery.org. Injectibles are another option and not permanent over the long term so you can see what you think about the results without long term commitment.

Web reference: http://www.drshermak.com/baltimore-cosmetic-surgery-photos/facial-fat-graft/

Treatment for Upper eyelid hollowing

+1

It is difficult to assess your condition without a photo, but generally, fat grating is good for adding volume to the brow fat pad or lid/brow junction, but would not directly put it into the upper eyelid skin itself. The lower lids, particularly the tear trough can be improved with fat injections. Consult a surgeon with experience in periorbital rejuvenation with fat grafting when treating this finesse area.

Albany Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer

+1

Can you post photos of the problem areas so that we can advise you? Your description isn't enough to provide you with meaningful advise.