Treatment for Sunken and Hollow Eyes?

I have a sunken eyes with a shortage of upper eyelid fat. It's genetic and that's what gives me a tired and elderly look. What is the best treatment for this? A fat grafting surgery? Or a fat injection? Pease help. I'm a 28 year old (female) and my problem isn't the extra upper eyelid fat as most people had but the opposite, a shortage of an upper eyelid fat.

Open fat grafting is the best correction for hollow eyes

Dear Shaha,

I am sure many doctors will suggest fat injection or filler injection to correct your hollow eyes.

I strongly urge you not to have injections done into your upper eyelid. There are many very delicate structures in the upper eyelid which can be injured by a needle used for injection, and injury to the levator muscle could give you a droopy eyelid.

The safest and most effective method to plump a hollow upper eyelid, in my opinion, is an open composit fat graft.

During this procedure, I harvest a small amount of fat from around your "belly button" , make a small laser incision in the upper eyelid, and graft the fat directly into the hollow area of your upper eyelid.

This procedure works very well, has been done for many years, and will give you the best result.

Again, avoid injections in this area-it sounds so easy and simple, but the risks are not worth the possible benefit, in my opinion.

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Fat on upper lids is not a great idea!

Although I have vast experience with fat transfer in the lower lids, I am not a fan of fat injections in the upper lids for your problems. The fat may make you lumpy and most importantly the excess weight can affect the muscle from working naturally. Although plastic surgeons love to provide answers for all problems, this may be a case of leaving well enough alone.

Robert M. Freund, MD

170 East End Avenue
New York, NY 10128

Fat Grafting

Fat Grafting is likely the best option for you. The synthetic products are also a possibility, however, I feel you will get the most natural result with your own fat. Just make sure you go to someone with extensive experience with fat grafting. Good luck

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Fat grafting is excellent for sunken eyes

This is one of the areas that fat grafting really shines. Fat harvested from another part of your body and then reinjected along the upper orbital rim can have very dramatic results. It is usually permanent and has a very high satisfaction rate. If you're not sure, try some Restylane first, it's temporary and reversible.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

1353 E. McAndrews Road
Medford, OR 97504

A Lot Can Be Accomplished With Fat

You have received lots of advice, pro and con to the idea of fillers and fat for this area. Filling can be a remarkably effective way of improving the hollow appearance to the upper eyelid, but if done by inexperienced surgeons, the result can be lumpy and irregular and difficult to correct.

The key is to be conservative with it and use very small amounts of fat "sprayed" along the border of the bone and also using a bit more fat to support the tail of the brow and give a highlight to the sub brow skin. This can actually lift the brow as well as fill the hollow orbit. My preference is to use fat, although fillers placed with blunt cannulas can also be effective.

James C. Grotting, MD, FACS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

One Inverness Center Parkway
Birmingham, AL 35242

Treatment for sunken or hollow eyes

Fat grafts can be used safely and with great results if the fat cells being transferred are handled gently and if the recipient site is adequate to receive the fat. When people comment on "dark circles and hollowing" of their lower eyelids, they often are observing a depression between the lower eyelid and the cheek, referred to at the "tear trough". Filling of a prominent tear trough can make the person with it appear more youthful and less tired. Not all tear troughs and upper, inner cheek hollows are the same, however. If the overlying skin is loose and very thin, then the tear trough becomes very unforgiving of all fillers (including fat), which may appear lumpy or visible through the skin. In these cases of loose and thin skin, a lower blepharoplasty with possible repositioning of the orbital fat may be the better treatment option. If, in the other hand, the tear trough has tighter and thicker overlying skin, then fillers (including fat) can be used safely and with excellent results. In the upper eyelid, hollowing can be improved with fat or with the filler Restylane, especially in the area above the upper boney rim of the eye.  The key points to the correction of hollows around the eyes are, above all else, selecting the right candidate for the procedure and performing the procedure with great technical skill and precision.

Paul Fortes, MD

12727 Kimberley Ln.
Houston, TX 77024

Fat transfer around the eyes.

Facial fat transfer has great potential if done correctly.

That said, the procedure has many limitations and is not always predictable.

In general, facial fat transfer works best to give an overall volume enhancement in areas that have a substantial base of tissue in which to graft.

The areas around the eyes can be thin and have the potential of leaving irregular contours, lumpiness and other undesirable results when treated with fat grafting.

That is not to say the procedure is inappropriate.

It is a technique that requires diligence, experience and careful patient selection.

I suggest you consult with an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon to find out your options.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

909 Hyde Street
San Francisco, CA 94109

Fat Grafting Effective for Sunken Eyes

Fat grafting can be very helpful for treating sunken hollow eyes, whether from genetics, trauma, or previous surgery. It can be done with a fine cannula and should not require surgery, but often more than one treatment is necessary because it is important to not add too much, and generally there is about 50% retention (50% of the added volume is lost within 4 to 6 weeks). What remains after that time should be relatively permanent. This may be a good option for you. Best wishes.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

737 N Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60611

Fat transfer can blend the upper eyelid appearance.

What makes an upper eyelid look youthful is a natural transition from the eyebrow to the last line.  this region, in the most pleasing eyelids, have some volume and contour.  An aged or deformed eyelid has the appearance of being sunken and hollow.  A high crease of the lid makes this look even worse.  Fat transfer, fat injection or fat grafting (all the same description) is an excellent procedure to blend this area.  This is minimally invasive and very reliable.  This is one of the most common procedures I perform here in Southern California.

Salvatore Pacella, MD, MBA, FACS

12395 El Camino Real
San Diego, CA 92130