Structural Fat Grafting for Lipoatrophy?

Is structural Fat grating a better solution for someone suffering from Lipoatrophy than temporary solutions like Sculptra or Radiesse? I read a comment posted by a doctor in which he talked about structural Fat grafting being used to fill in "sunken cheeks" in patients suffering from lipoatrophy using a person's own fat.

I'd like the hear more about it and it's success rate, how often it's performed. Downtime?

Fat is king

+1

Although fat is far better than a foreign body like those fillers you describe, do you have enough elsewhere. If you do, then fat is best because you are replacing like with like.

Sculptra is a substance that creates inflammation to achieve its fill - sort of like getting punched in the face. Not desirable for facial atrophy - even if it FDA approved.

Radiesse is a great filler but the anount needed is expensive to resolve the typical lipoatrophy patient. The best technique for fat transfer is Viafill.

Fat grafting for lipoatrophy

+1

Fat grafting is an extremely effective and powerful technique to recontour the face and body. Fat grafting can effectively be used in areas of lipoatrophy. When considering this procedure, it is very important to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is very experienced and fat grafting techniques out as well as contouring techniques of the area by your interested. The reason for this is that the way to produce the best results for you may be a combination of fat grafting with other procedures. This is especially true in the face.

Lipostructure (fat injection) and lipoatrophy

+1

This has not been my experience and I believe that structural fat grafting is a reasonable option for lipoatrophy.

Since I am discouraged from providing outside links, I would recommend that you search lipostructure and lipoatrophy.

Dr. Sydney Coleman in New York is considered the expert on this subject and you may want to email him.

Fat transfer is not a good option for lipoatrophy

+1

Fat grafting is a common procedure in our practice to complement facial enhancement and rejuvenation.

For HIV associated lipoatrophy, it does not appear useful because it tends to melt away within 2 months. Although it is poorly understood why, this condition prevents the facial tissues from "holding on" to the transferred fat.

Therefore, I usually recommend Sculptra, Radiesse or appropriate cheek implant (i.e. submalar implant, malar implant etc.) for a reliable improvement. Sometimes, the combination of both options is necessary for best results.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon