Swelling and Pain 6 Weeks Post-op Lipo

I am six weeks post op abdominal lipo. Swelling and pain in lower abdominal area and lots blotting in my upper abdominal area. What should I do?

Persistent Bloating and Swelling following liposuction

+2

Bloating is more a reflection of an intraabdominal condition rather than a subcutaneous process that is the plane at which liposuction is performed.  Pain may persist for up to 3 months following lipo and is reflective of resolving neuropraxia. You may want to consider lymphatic massage if permitted by your surgeon.

Pain and swelling after liposuction

+1

There may be some residual swelling and pain at 6 weeks after liposuction, but these should be gradually improving. If you are experiencing a change for the worse, then you should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon to rule out a fluid collection, infection, or other condition which may warrant treatment or intervention.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Postoperative swelling and pain 6 weeks after liposuction

+1

While it is not uncommon to have abdominal swelling and intermittent pain 6 weeks after liposuction, I would recommend that you see your Plastic Surgeon in follow-up to make sure that everything is OK. Open communication is extremely important in the recovery process, and your surgeon will want to know that you are concerned.

Best regards, Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Swelling and pain after liposuction

+1
If you are indicating that you have a lot of pain and bloating you should see your surgeon and make sure there is nothing but normal healing and to rule out an infection

Ronald Shelton, MD

Swelling and pain 6 weeks after liposuction may not be normal

+1

While you are certainly not fully healed only 6 weeks after your abdominal liposuction, your swelling and pain should be gradually improving, not worsening.  If your pain is worse now than last week, or if you have new symptoms (increased swelling or new bruising or skin redness, for instance), then you need to call your plastic surgeon to be evaulated in person.

Carmen Kavali, MD