Best Procedure for Firming Neck and Chin?

I'm about to turn 50. The skin on my face is relatively firm and in great condition for my age so I don't need a Facelift.

However, my neck and chin area doesn't look nearly as good as my face. What are my options for firming up the neck and chin area?

Necklift

+5

Neck Lift (Cervicoplasty / Platysmaplasty): restoring elegance to the face

If a person’s neck does not appear youthful, the face – no matter how limited the aging changes are – will often not be perceived as youthful either, unless the aging neck is concealed.

Even in the absence of other signs of facial aging, a poorly-defined or sagging neck can add years to a patients overall facial appearance. When performed expertly and with great attention to detail, a necklift surgery can dramatically restore a natural and youthful neck profile, with no outward evidence that surgery has been performed. The adjective that immediately comes to mind when I review ‘before and after’ images of my necklift patients is elegant – for restoring a youthful neck contour truly makes the patient appear not just younger but also refined and elegant.

A very wise and very talented surgical mentor of mine put it very succinctly: in facial rejuvenation surgery, “Get the neck right.” A youthful and well-contoured neck, with no distortions of the surrounding tissues and anatomic structures, is the foundation of a beautiful and youthful-appearing face.

Though it is not technically part of the face, a neck with loose, sagging skin can age the face dramatically. A neck lift is a standard part of most facelift surgeries, as the neck skin is mobilized in continuity with the lower face.

Immediately under the skin of the neck is the platysma muscle, which you can easily see in a mirror when you clench your teeth and tighten your jaw. In youth, this paired muscle meets in the midline below the chin. With age, the right and left sides of the platysma often separate, producing vertical 'cords' in the anterior neck. The platysma can be divided anteriorly and tightened during neck lift cosmetic surgery to permanently eliminate these 'cords' and improve the neck contour. One tightened in the midline below the chin, lateral traction on the platysma then creates a 'sling' which elevates the soft tissues below the jawline.

Cervical / submandibular liposuction

Some individuals have 'sagging' necks primarily due to fat accumulation below the jawbone (mandible). In some cases, liposuction alone can significantly improve the neck appearance. Liposuction is also frequently combined with surgical neck rejuvenation, and in selected cases some direct excision of fat (through a hidden incision below the chin) is performed. The reduction of fat in the area below the jawline and in the anterior neck almost always makes the neck appear longer, and makes the patient's profile appear more elegant or refined.

Suture suspension neck lift

In cosmetic surgery patients that do not have a sharp transition in profile between the submental area (area below the jawline) and the anterior neck, and in patients who simply want that transition enhanced, I add a 'suture suspension necklift'. A permanent suture is passed subcutaneously across the anterior neck, at the level corresponding to depth of the angle between the submental area and anterior neck, and is then anchored to the deep soft tissues behind each earlobe. This suspension cosmetic surgery procedure can dramatically enhance the definition between the jawline and anterior neck, producing a more elegant profile.

The neck is without question the primary 'facelift' aesthetic area where subtractive (excisional) and tightening procedures restore a truly youthful contour. Once again, take a look at the fashion magazines: essentially every neck you'll see demonstrates something close to a right angle between the neck and jaw. When it comes to the neck, and only in the neck, flat is good.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Neck and Chin Firming

+2

The neck and chin area can often times show the appearance of age with loose skin, wrinkles, or an accumulation of fat. For best results, each concern should be addressed separately and a plan devised. Often liposuction of the neck or skin tightening is a reasonable combination of procedures to improve the appearance of a loose or a fatty lower neck. Depending on the patient’s expectations, liposuction will not correct sagging or wrinkled skin. If these are the patient concerns, then a lower facelift tightening procedure may need to be considered. If there is additional fullness under the chin and within the neck, then liposuction can be utilized in conjunction with a facelift. I recommend consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to access an accurate diagnosis of your particular condition. All the best—Dr. Cohen

Neck lift for comprehensive neck rejuvenation

+2
There are three components in the neck that must be addressed for a comprehensive neck rejuvenation. These components are excess skin, fat above and below the muscle, and the  platysma muscle itself. The anterior platysmal bands are tightened with sutures placed in the  platysma muscle. Fatty  deposits are  removed above and below the platysma muscle, and excess skin is tightened through incisions behind the ears. A lower face/neck lift is the most appropriate operation since a neck lift alone will not address the skin laxity. For many examples of neck lifts and faces/neck lifts, please see the link below

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/facelift_photos.html

Best options for tightening the neck and chin

+2

This is probably not the answer you want to hear but, in my opinion, the best option for firming up the neck and chin is a facelift. That having been said, it is not a popular option and many individuals seek non-surgical treatments such as Thermage. The problem with many of these treatments is that they may be capapble of tightening the skin. However, they may deliver a 1-2 on a scale of 10 when what you need is a 7-8. IF you select a less agressive approach, be prepared to accept a less agressive result.

Options for tightening neck - surgical vs. nonsurgical

+2

Patients are often faced with two choices: to do what gives you the best result, or do what is convenient, inexpensive and gives you some result, just not the best result.

In our practice, we encourage patients to seek a course of action that gives the best result. It saves that middle, money and hope-wasting step of a minimally invasive procedure such as laser lipolysis, liposuction alone, necklift alone etc.

Many 50-year old woman who notice changes of aging in the chin and jawline area would get their best result from a facelift. A properly done facelift will restructure the deep tissues, reestablishing the youthful cheekbone vs. jawline dimension, and tighten skin as necessary. If cleverly done by an experienced facelift specialist, the incisions are usually undetectable.

We have not been enamored with laser procedures because of the risk for burning the skin, superficial skin irregularities, and discoloration of the skin. I have personally seen a patient in whom the laser burned completely through the skin during a submental procedure, an unimaginable complication from.

Proper tightening of the neck skin usually requires a facelift, at least a lower facelift. If patients know the difference between a lower only facelift and facelift, few choose the neck only procedure because of the subtle disharmony that can result from rejuvenation in one portion of the face and not in another.

Web reference: http://drbrent.com/faceliftprocedure.php

How to tighten the neck without a facelift

+2

Many patients come to us asking for their neck to be improved when, in fact, it is actually the face that needs improvement and that procedure also improves the neck. However, some patients truly have very little sagging skin in the face but have some excess fat in the neck along with mildly sagging skin in this region.

The "neck" really refers to jawline down to the clavicle. If the excess skin is near the jaw line (jowls), then the only real treatment is a facelift. If the excess skin an fat is below that, then it is possible to use alternative treatments. One of these is ultrasonic-assisted liposuction. This can remove some of the excess fat in the neck, and at the same time cause some tightening of the skin.

The best way to determine your options is truly with a consultation. Good luck.

Can neck skin be firmed without a facelift?

+2

As the other replies to your question have noted, there are no nonsurgical treatments that do what a facelift does. Many people do not realize that a facelift includes the neck. Having said that, I have treated many patients in your age group with a combination of liposuction and Thermage. With this combination, there is more tightening than with Thermage alone. It can all be done under local anesthesia with very little recovery time. Your best bet is to see a specialist who can offer a range of surgical and nonsurgical options so that you can get an honest opinion about what is best for you.

Ultherapy® is a great nonsurgical solution.

+1
It’s a common misconception that a surgical facelift addresses the signs of aging through the upper face. In reality, the most effectively targeted area during a facelift is the lower face, including the upper neck and jawline. If this is where you’re seeing more skin laxity and wrinkles, then you might be a good candidate for a facelift after all. That being said, Ultherapy® can offer an excellent nonsurgical solution for smoothing and tightening the neck and jowls instead. This totally noninvasive treatment includes the additional benefit of always having the option of choosing a facelift in the future. For the right candidate, Ultherapy® can help delay the need for facelift surgery for many years.

Firming the Neck and Chin

+1
The "best procedure" for firming the neck and chin may vary from patient to patient. When evaluating the jawline and neck, aging changes to the skin, soft tissue, and the underlying muscle are assessed, as well as the underlying skeletal anatomy. Family genetics and environmental exposures, such as sun and tobacco, influence the way we age, and we all look different as we grow older. Some patients have excess skin, others excess fat, and others muscle laxity with loss of the angle under the chin. Only through a precise assessment of anatomy can a plan be formed. Some patients benefit from simple liposuction or use of Precision TX, a skin tightening laser. Others may require a neck lift, mini facelift, or more formal lower facelift. Only by meeting with a board-certified plastic surgeon can the ideal procedure be determined.

Firming the neck

+1
We are fortunate in having different modalities to tighten and smooth the skin that are less invasive than a facelift for those people who are not ready or do not have enough loose skin for a neck or facelift.  Certainly good skin care and sun protection is the foundation but some improvements in technologies have emerged to allow for skin tightening with minimal downtime.  A new technology that I have recently acquired for my office is the Alma radiofrequency device Vshape.  This device uses radiofrequency to tighten the collagen in the deeper layers of the skin to tighten and smooth the skin.  The great advance of this device over other radiofrequency devices like Thermage is the painless application of the energy tot he skin.  Alma devices use an in-motion technology that allows the energy to be delivered in a comfortable fashion without any downtime.  The procedure can be used on the face and neck, and the body and feels like a warm massage.  3-6 treatments are ideal depending on the area of the body and the quality of the skin that is being treated.
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.