Best Lip Lift Procedure to Reduce Area from Nose to Lip?

My biggest expectation in getting a lip lift is to greatly reduce the area between the base of my nose and upper lip (while avoiding uneven nostril show), and I'm starting to have second thoughts about which type of lip lift procedure is best.  I'm not worried about a visible scar, I plan on taking good care of the incision and makeup covers quite a lot. So, what is the best type of lip lift procedure to achieve this?

Bull Horn is the best lip lift procedure

+4

The Gull Wing scar destroys an important anatomic landmark: the white roll. It is a roll of tissue between the upper lip skin and the red part of the lip. A scar there makes it flat and the lip looks like its painted on.

The Bull Horn scar is well hidden under the nose. If done correctly, the scar will be unnoticeable.

Lip lift if you must

+3

As I wrote on another question... I am not a fan of lip lifts. However if you have a very large space between your upper lip and nose it may be called for. I would do a gull wing incision under the nose. I always stay away from the lips which are much too beautiful a structure to mess up with an incision. Remember that scars are firmer than and less pliant than normal tissue. Make-up does not hide this aspect of the problem....thats why I prefer to go under the nose.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gull wing lip lift

+3

Often the lip-nose distance can be shortened with a gull wing lip lift.

This is a technically difficult procedure and exquisite care must be taken on closing the incisions.

It can be a powerful and wonderful procedure for the right patient. Or it can be a rabbit-like disaster, depending on how it is performed.

There are paradigms for knowing exactly where to put the incisions, how much (or little) to resect, and how to balance the lip overall, so a good group of before-after pictures is helpful once the patient has narrowed down their search to board certified plastic surgeons.

Brent Moelleken, MD

The best lip lift procedure?

+2

In the photos of your upper lip, you do have a lip length that is more than usually seen. The best procedure for you would be an excision of skin just under the nose from one side to the other extending around the crease between the nostril rim and the lip and cheek. There is a limit in how much skin should be removed, however. Excess skin removal will appear to turn the corners of the mouth downward. If this is the case, a small triangle of skin can be removed just above the corners of the mouth. The scars from the lip lift are inconspicuous, but those at the corner of the mouth may be more visible. Still, I think the lip lift would be a good procedure for you. Good luck.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Which lip lift is best?

+2

My usual preference is for the version that places the scar along the bottom of the nose because it is very well hidden there. When placed along the edge of the lip it can be a lot more obvious. Lip lifts are most often done on older patients to correct sagging, and it your case there may be other things to consider such as a condition called "vertical maxillary excess." What this means is that if the lip is shortened it may end up pulling your mouth into an always-open position because the height of the upper jaw is long. Of course I can't say for sure from the picture but a plastic surgeon should be able to give you good advice.

Richard Baxter, MD

Best lip lift scar

+2

Although this is not a procedure I perform frequently, the technique I use is the one that is resection right under the nose and nostrils.  It does a good job shortening the distance between the lip and nose while hiding the scar in a very favorable location.  I am not a big fan of the vermillion scar as I feel it can be too noticeable.  Good luck with your decision

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lip Lift

+2

You are a great candidate and can expect great results. In general, when I recommend this procedure to patients they have never heard of it but after wards they are very satisfied with the results. From the photo, it appears that the distance between your nostril base and the vermilion border is over 2.5 cm. the ideal distance would be about 1.5 cm. I would place the incision under your nostrils and would try to make the distance less than 2 cm depending on other factors. The scar usually heals well and is not visible. I posted a photo on my gallery for you to see the scars and the results.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Upper lip lift, lip shortening, lip augmentation

+2
From the photo, you appear to be a  wonderful candidate for the upper lift lip. Not only can the distance from the bottom of your nose to the upper lip be reduced by as much as 4 to 6 mm, the central one-third of your upper lip will be aesthetically rolled up and out.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Lifts

+2

I agree with other answers. Other factors to consider are the relationship of the nose to the white portion of the lip. If the nasal spine and columella are retracted the white portion of the lip may appear longer and this can be improved. In some patients, placing more emphasis on the red part of the lip, possibly with facial fillers, will help improve the white:red lip disharmony. I would tend to favor a graduated approach reserving an external incision as the end of the line therapy if other modalities do not produce a dramatic enough change.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Lift:

+2

There are two general approaches to the lip lift

Most of the better (in my opinion) lip lift procedures place the scar at the just beneath the nostrils. There are various names for this but the general pattern of skin removal looks like a bull's horns.

However, caution must be used in the amount of lift, because too much will lift only the central portions of the lip (pursed appearance) without effecting the outer corners of the mouth. In a more mature (aged) individual this is frequently combined with a corner lift. In a younger individual this will cause too much scarring

The other approach is to place the scar directly above the red portion of the lip where a woman wound apply lip liner.

I discourage patients from choosing this because I feel it alters the normal border of the lip and will always require some form of makeup or permanent pigmentation (tattoo). The advantage is that you can selectively lift any portion of the lip (not just the central lip as described above) and essentially have the patient draw out the desired result. The red portion of the lip is then rolled upwards and can be somewhat apparent.

In either technique, unfavorable scarring may occur and the procedure should not be undertaken until you are willing to accept this risk,