Why is This Belly Button So Dark and with a Buldge?

Hello All, I am 10 weeks post op of TT with muscle repair and Lipo to the flanks and I am very displeased with the appearance of my BB. I have posted picture of what my BB looked like before surgery and after. I have a weird buldge in the upper portion the belly and the whole area inside and out looks very dark. I'm wondering if this is normal or needs a revision or can't be fixed? Thank you so much in advance for your answers! :)

Belly button issues after tummy tuck.

+1

Thank you for posting the photos. From the appearance of your preoperative and postoperative photos, the darkness of the belly button was probably there all along. You even have a darkening of the linea alba (the vertical line in the center of your abdominal skin). Many people have hyperpigmentation in their belly button due to either chronic irritation or skin on skin rubbing. This is more common in skin with more pigmentation. Other common areas for this increase in pigmentation are under the breasts and in the groin creases. In the belly button, few people notice the darkened color because of the indentation of the belly button. After a tummy tuck, often the belly button is effaced to a degree and you can then see this hyperpigmentation. For many people it will improve over time. Other options are to remove the pigmented skin and tighten the skin around it. The minor bulging in the abdomen is most commonly swelling. This will improve over time if it is swelling. If the muscle repair has failed, this is usually easily detected on physical examination by your plastic surgeon.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Dark belly button After tummy tuck

+1

Well you really are only less than 3 months, remember all scars are at their darkest and thickest normally around now. A bleaching would benefit. Tri luma cream may help. Revising you to a small opening can be done but should wait until after 6 months.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Dark and Large Belly Button after Tummy Tuck

+1

Your belly button is not ideal and only your surgeon knows what he did and did not do. It appears too large (patulous), it is not sunken in a small depression and there is an area of inflammatory pigmentation around the scar. The latter CAN be improved with skin bleaching agents starting now. I would wait until 6-8 months after the surgery and consider using liposuction to flatten athe area of roundness due to your OLD tummy fat being pulled down. If you are bothered by the sheer size of the belly button it would have to be revised at the cost of more scarring.

Time is on your side. Give it time to heal and you will see some gradual improvement.

Dr. Peter A. Aldea

You may need to have revision

+1

Your belly button is too wide and revision may help. You may want to wait 6-12 months before revision.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Preoperative photos suggest that your bb is darker

+1

Your preoperative photos suggest that your belly button skin is slightly darker than your abdominal skin.  Since the new periumbilical area is really from your upper abdomen (lighter skin) it gives greater contrast with the darker umbilical area.  Furthermore, the increased size of the new umbilicus opening gives it greater visibility. I believe your bulge as well as the light skin / dark umbilicus can be improved by revising the scar around the belly button to a smaller dimension.  It would be worthwhile to discuss this with your surgeon.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon