Hard Area After Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuck in October of 2009~Now, I have a hardened area 4" long X 1&1/2"wide~~Why is this, & as a result, is it my Dr's fault for this to have happened & what should I do about it, because I am not happy at all rubbing my stomach & feeling this~~Here are some pics that I just took for yall to view~~It pooches out, & is not attractive to me whatsoever~~I'm very disappointed~~

Hard Area After Tummy Tuck?

+3

It always strikes me as sad when I read letters such as yours that among the first thoughts some disappointed patients have are that somehow everything that befalls them is the surgeon's fault. This is true only in a very small number of the cases while in the majority of cases a disappointing result or a complication has nothing to do with what the surgeon has done.  On your cases the "lump" appears to be a mass of either scar tissue or dead fat which straddles the scar. I would meet with your surgeon and together try and resolve it. Like most ethical Plastic surgeons I am sure that if you respect him and his efforts on your behalf he would love nothing more than making you happy with his work.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Tummy Tuck

+1

Hard/firm areas after TT is common and just a part of the inflammation phase.  Several years later and I would expect it to be gone.  I usually see this fade by month 3-6.  If you are still hard, you may have had a small hematoma, or some other issue and altered the normal course of healing.  Have your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon evaluate you and determine the cause.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Hard area after tummy tuck, should it have happned, and is my surgeon at fault?

+1

Complications after tummy tuck are few and far between, but they are not unusual. My guess it that you have either an organized hematoma, or fat necrosis. I would claim that I haven't had a similar case, but I can't. The best solution is a complete redo of the lower portion of the tuck. Tummy tucks vary and surgeons vary. As long as your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon I am confident she/he can make you look better. . Complications are a part of this and other cosmetic surgeries, but when the going gets tough all that training kicks in. I wish you better luck next time.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Hard to know after Tummy Tuck

+1

Sorry, couldn't resist.  

I agree with you that the area is fairly prominent.  Have you discussed it with your surgeon?  It IS hard to know just from looking at the photos, so I would encourage you to see your surgeon or if you are not happy with your surgeon a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area.  San Antonio is not far from Luling and we have many capable Plastic Surgeons here who could help you.

Eventhough a picture is worth a thousand words, it does not take the place of a physical exam.  Based on the exam, it may be an area of fat that does not have good blood supply or an area of scar tissue.  I have operated on several patients who have had tummy tucks done elsewhere and have a persistent fluid collection in the area.

Good luck, it looks like the kind of thing that can be made better.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Hard area after tummy tuck

+1

This is likely either scar tissue or fat that isn't getting enough blood supply. Results are never entirely predictable. It is not anyones fault necessarily so don't look to assign blame. Just talk to your surgeon or another one about how to make it better.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Hard area after tummy tuck

+1

A hard area after a tummy tuck could be an area of fat necrosis (though they do not usually last for two years), area of scarring (uncommon to be that localised) or an area of suturing from muscle repair. The best person to know will be your surgeon. Sometimes an ultrasound or MRI can give more information.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Hard area after tummy tuck

+1

A hard area that persists over a year after having an abdominoplasty is most likely due to underlying scar tissue.  Unfortunately, this is a complication that can happen after any surgery with any surgeon. Sometimes this can be softened by massaging the scar or injecting it with a corticosteroid. I recommend discussing your concerns and options to try to improve it with your surgeon.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon