What Can I Do About my Back Acne?

I am 27 years old & have had back+chest acne since I was 11 years old. I used to have acne on my face, but that went away completely by the time I was 18 without any medications. In college I went through several courses of different antibiotics & birth control/spironolactone to no response. I was finally put on Accutane which helped a great deal (for two courses of 6 month each), but once I stopped it all came back in full force. I haven't been on any medication for acne since 2006.

Back Acne Treatment

+1
Back acne is very common however it is not treated as much because most patients aren’t bothered by it as much as facial acne. The treatments would be the same for the back as the face, the only difference being the back is generally less sensitive making stronger products necessary. They may be difficult to apply but topicals work great for back acne. Oral antibiotics have been the preferred choice of treatment because of their simplicity. Peels are also an excellent method of minimizing back acne as well as lightening any acne scarring. Resorcinol and Salicylic acid peels have worked with great success as well.

Good question

+1

I am sorry to hear about your struggles. At this point you should consult with your local dermatologist. Or you could try to research specialty skin doctors in your area.
Best of luck to you!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon