Arnica Raise Blood Pressure?

I am having lower bleph and and neck lift in August and have sensitive blood pressure. will small doses of Arnica raise blood pressure? I have read that it can raise blood pressure but not sure if this includes small doses at short term usage. if ok, should i take it immediately after or before the surgery? I take blood pressure medication and its generally well controlled.

Arnica before Blepharoplasty

+1

Although Arnica may raise blood pressure in some we have not noticed a difference in the majority of our patients. We also use a clonidine patch to minimize this from happening. Many of our patients benefit from Arnica and Bromelain preoperatively

Arnica for cosmetic surgery

+1

It is very important to make sure blood pressures under good control prior to undergoing elective cosmetic surgery. We do not use arnica  because we believe it simply doesn't help.

Arnica not indicated for blepharoplasty.

+1

Arnica probably has no effect on blood pressure but there is no scientific evidence that it has anything to do with bruising or wound healing. If you have any concerns don't take it.

Useless but likely harmless

+1

If you are taking about 30C dilution of arnica to be taken by mouth, it cannot hurt or help you. This is diluted to 1 part Arnica to 1x10 to 60 power parts water (yes, 1 with 60 zeros). So no actual arnica can be found in an "Arnica" pill. It is just a sugar pill and placebo effect. Check out the research on Homeopathy and how it is supposed to work. Most scientists find it absurd. Enough people seem to believe in it though, that it is a multi billion dollar industry!

Evan Black, MD
Detroit Oculoplastic Surgeon

Arnica and blood pressure

+1

I have not seen Arnica lead to an elevated blood pressure, but I would discuss your question with your surgeon so that a decision can be made in regards to whether you should use Arnica or not.  Your specific surgeon should make the decision since he or she will be caring for you during your surgery and after.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon