Chances That Breast Implant Rejection Will Occur?

I have never been able to wear earrings (unless made of real gold/silver) due to my body rejecting them. I got my belly button pierced and my body rejected that and slowly pushed the piercing out. I tried the natural breast enhancement pills but gave up on them after 3 months, so now I'm looking into breast implants. But I'm worried that my body will reject the implants since I've had such a hard time with my body rejecting my jewelry. Do you think my body will reject the implants as well? What are the chances that it will happen?

Implant rejection

+2

I think that I may have answered a similar question before on this subject, but implants are inert and are not rejected.

Chances that breast implant REJECTION will occur

+2

REJECTION is an immune mediated response in which our body recognizes something as foreign and then mounts an attack to remove it.

Breast implants (either saline or silicone filled) are made of a silicone shell which in thousands of studies has been shown NOT to elicit an immunological rejection response. NO implant in the history of human existence has been more intensely studies than breast implants; it has been more studied than heart valves, pacemakers, artificial vessels, joints and all other implants.

Like all operations breast augmentation does have some risks associated with it, but rejection is NOT one of them.

Good Luck.

Breast Implant Rejection Unlikely

+1

Its is extremely unlikely you will reject a breast implant. Implants have an inert shell. Breast implants are very safe medical devices. This has been proven in a plethora of published studies. But remember, no medical devices last forever. Accepting implants accepts some degree of risk that you will need revision surgery due to an implant related problem in the future. So what are the risks: infection, rupture, malposition, scar tissue formation (capsular contracture), and of course, the need for revision surgery. The good news is that over 24 peer reviewed published studies have shown that implants are safe. They do no increase your risk of any systemic illness or breast cancer. Opting for breast augmentation is a very personal decision. A great site to start your journey is www.plasticsurgery.org - this is the official website for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Allergic reaction to breast implants causing rejection

+1

The chances that your body will reject the implants are highly unlikely, probably far less than 1 in 1000 which is really the potential rate of infection. This would be the most likely cauuse other than tissue attenuation and exposure which are probably even less likely.

No chances you will reject breast implants

+1

As the posters have stated at 100% there is no chance from your history for breast implant rejection.Go see boarded Plastic Surgeons in your area to discuss in detail. Good Luck!

Implant rejection

+1

Hi,

This is not something that you should worry about. It is very unlikely. Both saline and silicone implants are made of a silicone shell which has been studied in depth and not been shown to cause any allergic reactions inside the body like a piercing which is exposed. There are however certain risks that are associated with any surgery. It is important to understand these before the surgery. There are also conditions that some patients might associate with rejection such as capsular contracture or an infection, but that is not the case.

As long as you are in good health, have a board certified surgeon that you trust, listen to their instructions and information, and communicate any concerns with your surgeon, you should have a successful surgery.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Sounds like a nickel allergy

+1

People who can't wear earrings or other piercings are usually allergic to Nickel which is an additive in cheap jewelery. Dermatologists can test for this. Silicone does not cause allergies and has no nickel in it.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast Implant Rejection

+1

The problems that you have had with earrings and other body piercings are related to a metal allergy. There is very little chance that your body would "reject" breast implants (you can never say always or never in medicine). I know of no cases of implant rejection. Silicone was chosen because of its unlikelihood of eliciting antigens.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Implant Rejection?

+1

Hi there-

Despite the unfortunate experiences you have had when pierced in the past, breast implant rejection does NOT occur. Whether filled with saline or silicone, the shell of the implants is the same- a polymer of highly purified, medical grade silicone.

Silicone is inert- meaning that your body does NOT react to it the way it would react to something that came from another person or another animal. Allergic reactions and rejection of implants therefore simply do not happen in humans.

There are risks to the procedure, as there would be with any other, but rejection is not something you need worry about.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation, fat grafting, silicone implants

+1

Dear Michelle,

It is an overwhelming response that there is no evidence of implant rejection. There are surgical risks with any surgery and there is an incidence of capsular contracture of 2% to 5 % (this is not rejection).

Trevor M. Born, MD