Antibiotics , Differin and Benzac, Chemical Peel- Will Dr. Suggestion Help My Acne?

so i started having acne ( moderate sever ) 2 years ago and it only got worse 3 months ago and the type of acne ive is pustules ive tried everything and nothing worked , untill last month i went to dermatologist and he advised me to start the following treatment: chemical peel every week for 1 month and to mix differin and benzac together and apply them at night , also zithromax antibiotic 1 tablet for 3 days , NeoStrata glycolic wash ( day and night ) will that help me clearing up my acne ?

Acne Treatments - Patience Required

+1

Every acne patient is different and therefore requires an acne treatment regimen customized for his or her skin.  I usually select an acne regimen based on a patient's skin color, skin type and type, severity and location of acne lesions.  I may recommend a combination of over-the-counter, prescription and/or office-based treatments such as Isolaz or Silkpeel Dermalinfusion. The most important thing that I tell all my patients is that acne treatments take time (at least 6 to 8 weeks to show some improvement) and that patience is required.  The regimen you are on may work for you and I can only suggest that you give it a good two months trial and then follow up with your doctor. 

Treatment for YOUR acne

+1

Every acne patient in different. Therefore, what may work for your friend, may not work for you. It's important that your dermatologist makes the treatment plan tailored to your skin. Also, things take a little while to start working and some times stop working after a while.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Acne treatment regimen

+1

Proper treatment of acne really depends on the type of acne that you have, whether it is comedonal, cystic, or papular( inflammatory pimples).  Based in your physician's treatment regimen it would seem that you have a mixture.  Every dermatologist has his/her own protocol or treatment regimen for treating different types and severities of acne.  One is not necessarily better than another.  Every patient responds differently to different medications so it often takes a little trial and error to find the right regimen for you.  The worst thing you can do is not give your doctor's regimen a chance.  If you see no improvement then follow-up with them and your physician should make the required tweaks to your regimen. Spend a few visits to your physician before deciding if their approach is or isn't right for you.

All acne treatments take awhile to work

+1

No matter what type of acne you have, all acne treatments and regimens take awhile to work, at least a month if not 2 or 3. If you have moderate to severe acne, which it sounds like you do, it can take even longer. The combination treatment your dermatologist recommended is not one that I have used, but I do usually recommend a variety of products - oral medications, topicals, washes, etc. There is not one regimen that works for everyone. So give it time, but I would suggest you follow your dermatologist's recommendations for now and see how it goes from there.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD