Alternative Procedure to Tighten Jawline?

What is the best option for tightening the jawline for the very beginning of jowls? I am only 43 and have been told that I am not ready for any type of Facelift; however, I don't like the appearance of my lower face.

I have tried Thermage twice and it has not produced the effect I had hoped for. Thank you

40 year old with early jowls

+3

At 40 years old and a touch of jowls, I would agree with the surgeons who have suggested camouflage techniques such as Radiesse.  This often works well, is safe, and does not hinder your ability to do other procedures in the future.  It does not surprise me that you are dissatisfied with Thermage, I don't believe I have ever met a patient who was.  I would encourage you to avoid all of the various machines that claim to provide a facelift without surgery, patients rarely see the promised changes, or even any change at all for that matter.  At your age I encourage you to be conservative.

Web reference: http://www.dr-apo.com/surgical-procedures/facelift/

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for jowls with a mini facelift cam be your best option

+3

To answer this question for you I would really need to see your photos as any advice otherwise would just be a guess. Jowls can be SLIGHTLY improved with SKILLFULLY performed liposuction on SOME people. But in general the safest and most effective to improve the jowl is with a Facelift. I have done facelifts on many people in their early 30's who had significant jowls ( who had already had treatments like liposuction and Thermage etc). The results can be amazing and the patients have been thrilled and wished they had done the procedure even earlier.

Alternative procedures for tightening jawline

+3

Despite the promise of Thermage and other Laser, radiofrequency, IPL devices, etc., I find they rarely deliver what patients expect.

You might consider Mittleman pre-jowl implants, which are a type of chin implant which is flat in the chin, but has a "bump" in the area of transition between chin and jowl ("pre-jowl"). It nicely smooths the line of the jaw.

Another approach is a combination of very light lipo of the cheek combined with filler or fat injection into the "pre-jowl" area.

These procedures do not tighten the skin per se, but they give the jawline a uniform and youthful appearance. You might want to give this a temporary try by injecting Radiesse into the prejowl area. If you don't like the effect, it's OK, one can manually massage and flatten the filler to reduce the effect. If you like the effect, you might want to continue periodically reinjecting Radiesse or trying the Mittleman prejowl implant, or the combo of lipo with fat injection.

Alternative procedures to tighten jowl line

+2

In my experience if you are trying to avoid surgery your next step would be to give Fraxel laser treatment a chance on your skin to see if this would tighten it sufficiently to meet your goals. If not, a minimal procedure such as a u-lift incision around the bottom of the ear may be required. In my practice, I am always happy to treat with no incisions if it works. But if it doesn't work we move to more advanced procedures. My personal experience with Thermage was disappointing, though I'm aware many people obtained successful outcomes with it.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Different options to tighten the jawline

+2

Patients today have many different options to tighten and recontour the jaw line. Patients may consider a dermal filler that can help camouflage a small amount of sagging along the jawline. Patients may consider a lower face or neck lift to help redraping the tissues of the lower face and clean the edge of the jaw. These techniques are often combined with fat injection to help replace some of the fat that is naturally lost in the aging process. For best results, you should work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has great deal of experience in lower facelift techniques, dermal fillers, fat grafting, and facial rejuvenation they will be able to assess the and let you know which combination of techniques will help meet your personal goals.

A good facelift is really the only way to get what you want.

+2

It may only take a minilift of a type that lifts the jowl upward where it used to be and sutured there. You probably won't need a full lift. See an experienced facelift surgeon and you will spend less money in the long run. The recovery is normally a week, but can be more.

Radiofrequency Tightening May be Your Best Bet

+2

But unfortunately you did not get much help from Thermage. The Refirme system combines laser light plus radiofrequency to tighten skin, but like Thermage the results are highly variable.

Deeper chemical peels can offer some thightening but rarely correct true jowl formation. You may have to wait until you are ready for a mini-facelift

How to Tighten Jawline

+1
Women and men in their early 40's may be excellent candidates for lower face/necklift. Sun damage, weight fluctuations, and genetics dictate the degree of laxity in the face and neck area. Noninvasive procedures such as Ultherapy are worth considering for less severe cases. If you have been dissatisfied with multiple Thermage procedures, surgery may be the best option - it provides a one-time, long duration option, and recovery should take no longer than 10 days to 2 weeks in optimal candidates.

Web reference: http://www.drshermak.com/facial-surgery-baltimore/neck-contouring/

Alternative procedure to tighten jawline

+1
In my plastic surgery practice and medical spa we offer many non-surgical treatments for aesthetic enhancement. However, without an evaluation, it is impossible to know what is best for you.  Excess skin can really only be treated effectively with surgery, even if the surgery is limited. 

Fillers, like Juvederm Voluma, or even fat grafting can be wonderful for adding volume to hollow areas, but adding volume to jowls could make the lower face appear heavy and make your issue more of a problem.

Look at many, many before and after iamges and do your homework when selecting a surgeon.  Often people who never seem to age have had a little "work" along the way, so there never seems to be a major change, almost a perpetually youthful face. A plastic surgeon with expertise in providing natural results is who you need.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/facelift.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Toronto

+1
You would need to be examined in person to determine the best options for you.  Non-surgical options include fillers but can make some people appear heavy set, so this must be used carefully.  See a BC PS in your area.

Web reference: http://www.drpirani.com/facial-rejuvenation-toronto/facelift/