Is It Possible to Be Allergic to the Lap Band?

I am allergic to adhesive and Latex (among other things). What are chances of being allergic to the Lap-Band and how will I know?

Latex allergy with lap band surgery

+3

You should discuss this with your surgeon. The primary components of the implant are made of silicone which is typically used in latex-allergic patients so I don't see this as a problem but surgeon's may use latex gloves and other supplies that may contain latex or other adhesives so I would review this with your surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com

No allergies reported with the Lap-Band

+1

No, there have never been reported allergic reactions the Lap-Band. It is made of an inert material called silastic that is not recognized by the body and therefore not susceptible to reactions.

Mississauga Bariatric Surgeon

Allergy to Lap-Band

+1

The Lap-Band is made of silicone and is totally inert to your body.  You can not be allergic to the Lap-Band.  There is no latex in the Lap-Band.

Shawn Garber, MD

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Lap Band is Hypoallergenic

+1

The LapBand is made of silicone and is hypoallergenic.  If you have a latex allergy the lap band will not affect you.  I have never seen a case of anyone being allergic to the LapBand.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon