If I got a mesh put in my breast can I work out after the allotted rest period ?

I'm considering getting a mesh put in when I so my breast revision . I know their is a period of time that no activity is allowed to prevent bleeding and other complications, but once it's fully healed will I be able to do aerobics and run ?

Exercise after breast implant surgery

+2
Thank you for your question. Every surgeon has slightly different post operative instructions and you should follow your surgeons instructions. Generally speaking you can resume exercise in 6 weeks. 

Breast implant revision

+2
If you are using either a mesh like Seri or an ADM like strattise I would be careful about excessive activities for the first 6 weeks.  Your surgeon will certainly give you activities recommendations.  

Revisionary breast augmentation with biological mesh does require post-op activity restriction

+1
Great question. After the biological mesh, Strattice, Seri scaffolding has revascularized (i.e. incorporated with the breast flap), usually within 6 weeks, you should be able to advance your activities. Most women who need this operation are motivated to accept the convalescence period in order to get the long term benefits.  Check with your PS, who is most qualified to set the timeline. 

Lavinia Chong, MD

Mesh

+1
Absolutely. Our goal is to get you back to normal activities as soon as is safely possible. I'm assuming that you are talking about mesh with an implant.

Edward S. Gronka, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Excercise after breast revision

+1
Mesh and dermal matrix products are used to stabilize the implant and minimize long-term complications.As a revision patient you have a higher chance of having another revision in the future and therefore would follow your board certified plastic surgeon’s instructions.Once cleared by your plastic surgeon, you will be able to run and exercise again.This can take anywhere from 3-6 weeks depending on what procedure is performed.Good Luck.

Allen Gabriel, MD, FACS
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon