After Tummy Tuck Surgery What is the Best Scar Cream to Use to Reduce the Appearance of Long Incision?

Melarase cream and pulsed dye laser for scars - Los Angeles

+1

I have patients use Melarase cream for dark discoloration and treat with pulsed dye laser to reduce redness and scar thickness. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Web reference: http://karemd.com

Post surgery care for scars

+1

The evidence for scar creams is very poor and so I often don't recommend any post surgery scar creams to my patients. Best thing is to follow the surgeon's post operative instructions and to avoid any tension to the scar line. If after the area heals and you are not fully happy with the scar, there are a variety of options that can help improve the appearance of a scar such as dermabrasion, laser, steroid injections, etc etc.

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar Cream

+1

Scar formation is a natural and unavoidable process in human healing. It can also go awry: hypertrophic scarring occurs when scars exceed the size of the original injury; keloid scarring occurs when a tumor-like growth begins at the location of injury. These pathobiological developments can be treated by a variety of means, including steroid injections and even radiation therapy. For more routine scars that are slightly raised or thickened, there are two treatments that have known efficacy: 1) Scar Massage & 2) Topical SiliconeScar massage works by physically breaking down the scar tissue by repeated manual pressure. This should be performed as often as possible (i.e. 5-10 times per day. Topical silicone can take the form of silicone sheets or silicone ointment. When the ointment is used, this can be incorporated into the scar massage regimen. Silicone acts by a variety of means (e.g. temperature, charge) to reduce scar burden. My preference is to use Biocorneum cream: this incorporates SPF 30 sunblock with liquid silicone ointment. Sun avoidance is perhaps the most crucial factor in preventing untoward scar appearance, and it must be emphasized in any healing regimen.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon