Shooting Pains Normal Months After Breast Augmentation?

Nearly 6 months ago I had a breast augmentation from an A to C. It was over the muscle and the insicion is on the fold under the breast.

I still have a strange numbness around and under my nipples. I also get shooting pains. Is this normal after such a long period of time? Even though I'm saying it's a numbness, it's a weird feeling -- its like when you've been to the dentist and had your mouth frozen and the feeling is starting to come back. The shooting pains don't last long, but they're quite sore.

Shooting pains normal months after breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.  Your description sounds as if it is your nerves regenerating. 

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Shooting pains, normal after breast augmentation.

+1

It is not unusual to have sharp electrical pains on one side and not the other due to nerve irritation or compression (neuropraxia). 

It is always a good idea to keep your PS informed of your progress. 

Temporary strange sensation common after breast implants.

+1

Hi.

During breast augmentation, the sensory nerves can be stretched or bruised. When the nerves heal, you can have pain, pins and needles, or burning. Not related to the breast implants. Almost always goes away.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Sensory changes after implants

+1

Sensory changes evolve after having breast implants. Sensation comes back in most inidividuals jsut as you are experiencing. It is like electricity as it awakens.

Shooting pains months after breast augmentation not typical

+1

This is not typical after breast augmentation. What does your surgeon say about it? If you haven't seen him (or her) in a while I would suggest you make an appointment. While it might sort out, a little guidance might be helpful.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Wait a year and see if this persists

+1

I agree that you should wait about a year to determine if your symptoms persist. The nerve that supplies sensation to your nipple and areola actually runs from the sides of your breast and can be stretched from the implants during and after surgery. This usually goes away over time as the body adjusts. If still present after a year, then see your Doctor.

David Rankin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation normal for up to a year

+1

Hello Jacki,

We tell our patients to expect the occasional shooting, burning pain for up to a year after surgery. As long as it is temporary, there is nothing to worry about. However, pain that persists should be brought to the attention of your doctor.

Nubmness is a separate issue. There can be numbness of the nipple as well as the lower part of the breast. Hopefully, numbness of the nipple only lasts a couple of weeks and everything returns to normal.

Sometimes it takes a very long time for the nipple to be back to normal. It sounds like you have some nerves that are recuperating still so allow a little more time and make sure you follow up with your doctor.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon