Can You Add Chemical Peel Solution to Oil, Lotion, Etc.?

I want to do a home chemical peel on my back to help with oily skin and acne, but it's a difficult area to reach. Can I add the chemical peel solution to baby oil, lotion, or ?? to help with reaching the area and making sure it's applied more evenly?

Do it Yourself Skin Peeling

+2

I have been amazed at how many people are willing to use their own skin as testing grounds for trial and error research. Please be careful and only proceed with your research ideas after you have a thorough understanding of the potential risks involved. Chemical peels are essentially a controlled burn when performed correctly.

When chemical exposure is uncontrolled, the effect can be devastating. I would also comment about excessive use of any exfoliative process performed over a long period of time, including retinoids and laser modalities. Eventually, the long term exfoliative damage may be similar to excessive weathering: resulting in unwanted lines, wrinkles, or even skin cancer. Be kind to your skin and consult a professional for more guidance.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peels for Your Back

+1

Many products are available that have the same chemicals that are used in peels already mixed into lotions that can be used elsewhere on the body. The chemicals are usually in a diluted form when compared to the strength of the chemical peels, but when used daily can have a nice effect. One product, made by Allergan, is Vivite. This is a glycolic acid based peel system. You can have the stronger peels in the office and then daily products to use at home. I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

We don't chemically peel the back - it does not heal

+1

First, home chemical peels are a very bad idea. Even though you can buy the chemical agents on-line and pouring the liquid onto the skin seems so simple, this is just not what a chemical peel is about. A tremendous degree of clinical judgement is needed to get a great results on the face. The face skin is special because it contains an unusually large of stem cells to repopulate the skin. Most other areas of the body do not have this density of stem cells. So instead of a beautiful result, horrible disfiguring scaring is the result. So do yourself a favor and don't do this.