Acne on Buttocks. Have it On My Arms and Thighs Also?

Other posts similar to this one say it could be Folliculitis, but wouldn't it be fair to say that if it were in fact a Staff infection that it would become worse? I have had Folliculitis once before on my bikini line and the infected area grew into a larger area rather then just appearing as pimples like seen on someones face. I have keratosis pilaris as well, which was on my arms but now is on my butt and thighs, and I feel like this could possibly be the reason? Is this possible?

Keratosis Pilaris and Folliculitis Can Occur on the Buttocks and Thighs

+3

Keratosis pilaris can indeed occur on the thighs and buttocks, as well as the arms.  Folliculitis is also common on the buttocks and thighs.  Folliculitis can present more acutely and progress as you describe when you had it on your bikini line, but it can also be more chronic and appear almost like acne.  Keratosis pilaris usually improves by moisturizing with a lactic acid-containing lotion.  Chronic folliculitis can improve with antibacterial washes.  Your dermatologist would be able to determine which treatment is best based on your examination.

Austin Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.