Can a A/B-cup Get a Breast Reduction?

I hate feeling these useless jiggly things. I'm a 17-year-old female who has never felt completely comfortable as a girl, but am too used to it to become a guy. I'm obsessed with cosplaying, esp. as male characters & near-flat females. Though I want children, I don't care for sex and I've been planning on adoption for years. I'm about 5'6", 136 lbs, Viet-Amer., and am in otherwise good health with no allergies other than some lactose intolerance. Is it feasible for me to go almost flat as a guy?

Breast Reduction - for an A/B

+2

Is it feasible?  Yes.  Is it advisable?  Maybe.

If the only concern is the breasts, then there are certainly options for reducing them.  You could have a mastectomy with a nipple graft; you could have a lift/reduction to a smaller size; you could have a liposuction to reduce the volume and allow the skin to contract as much as it will and then have a skin tightening procedure.  And so on.

But these are all very significant procedures, particularly in view of the other issues you've raised.  I think that, for all involved but mostly for you, you should proceed carefully and only in consultation with health care professionals, including psychiatric, to make sure that you are having these very substantial - and irreversible - procedures performed for the best reasons for your long-term health.   You've raised issues of transgenderism, adoption, cosplaying, sexual apathy....much more than is discussed in a typical breast reduction forum.

My advice:  speak to your physician and also to a mental health professional.  Start exploring these issues (if you have not already done so) and see where it leads you.  The surgery, if at all, should be much farther down that road.

I hope that this helps you and good luck,

Dr. E

Breast Reduction to "Almost Flat"?

+2

The short answer is:  Yes,  it is possible to reduce the breasts very significantly.  I have had experience doing this for patients in your situation. Sometimes, it requires 2 stages to achieve the desired “flat” look.

The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  Doing the procedure in more than one stage allows the tissues to  acclimate to the surgically decreased blood flow before  further tissue removal (and potentially further decreased blood flow)  occurs ( with the second stage operation).

I would respectfully suggest that you seek counseling to sort out your feelings and goals prior to undergoing surgery.

A/B Cups and breast reduction

+1
Hard to say without a photo. Generally, most breasts can undergo a reduction operation. One must ask what the issue is and what the expected goal is. Sometimes a mastopexy, (breast lift), is all that one needs. Usually breast reductions are for those patients with significant volume and ptosis. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon. Together you will come up with an appropriate plan.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Mastectomy as a Cosmetic Operation

+1

Sex change and Transgender operations are a complex topic. These procedures are extensive and impossible to reverse. Most Plastic surgeons would insist on Psychiatrc clearance to make sure that such an operation would actually benefit your well-being. Depending on your present breast size you may require a mastectomy scar to flatten the chest and render it more masculine appearing. 

Breast reduction

+1
It is certainly possible to reduce your breasts to make you completely flat chested. Since much of what you are describing in your post involves gender assignment, you may want to see a specialist in this because hormonal factors and their alteration may be a consideration for you.

Robert L. Kraft, MD