How Would A 325 Gram Reduction Look On My Current D Cup Breasts? (photo)

I'm seriously looking into have a breast reduction after suffering from terrible back pain. I called my insurance company recently, and was told that 325 grams of tissue from each breast would be the minimum requirement based on my height and weight. I am currently a D cup and was wondering how small 325 grams would make me? I would ideally like to be a B cup. Would this be achievable or make me too small? Thank you!

Plastic surgeon works for the patient not the insurance company

+3

Based on your photo it appears that a reasonable breast reduction on you would remove from 350 to 400 grams of tissue.   I also think that it is unreasonable for the insurance company to arbitrarily command the plastic surgeon to remove a pre-set amount of breast tissue in order for the procedure to be covered.   If too much breast tissue is removed it can jeopardize the blood supply to the nipple and areola thus causing healing problems.   Remember the insurance company is only trying to differentiate between a breast lift, which is a cosmetic procedure, and a breast reduction which is a reconstructive, thus covered procedure.  If you have a problem because the plastic surgeon removed excessive breast tissue in order to meet the requirements of the insurance company who is responsible, not the insurance company.   As a plastic surgeon I work in the best interests of the patient.  

How much tissue should be removed during breast reduction?

+2

You will benefit from breast reduction not only because the breasts will be smaller but also because skin will be tailored and you will have a significant lift at the same time.  From your pictures and your body habitus I would think it would be covered by insurance. To get a great result I estimate removal of about 450 gms of tissue and significant skin reduction.  You would be a c+ cup which should match your frame proportionately.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Breast Reduction

+2

Based on your pictures, it looks like a 350 cc per side reduction and lift would give you a nice result but still leave you in the large C range.  It all depends on what you are looking for in your results.  However, it appears that would easily fit the criterial for at least a 350 cc reduction.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Breast Reductions and Post-Op Size

+2

It is very diffcult to truly know where a patient is going to end up size-wise after a breast reduction.  Every patient is different, and all the bra makers are different, so one can tell you that you are a B afterwards, while another can tell you that you are a C.  Based on the photographs, you look more like a DD than a D.   Removing 325 grams from both breasts would probably put you in that C range, as well as lift the breasts into a better shape.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Weight Transfer Adds Relief to Breast Reduction

+1

A rule of thumb is that each 200 grams removed corresponds to one cup size.  325 gram reduction results in about one and a half cup sizes smaller.  If you're a small D then this could result in a B.  However, the point of your surgery is to relieve your terrible back pain and that is why insurance companies authorize it. An alternative procedure that has recently been developed is breast weight transfer instead of just reduction.  The excess skin from your breasts is used to make an internal bra which transfers the weight to the underlying pectoral major muscle.  As you know, muscles are strong and can take the added weight. Skin alone is simply not enough to hold/support the weight of breasts. This would be the best alternative for you in that it creates upper breast fullness without the vertical scar and should improve your back pain.  It also lifts your breasts to the normal anatomical position giving you a more youthful appearance and increasing the length of your torso.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

325 gm reduction

+1

325 gm reduction may knock off a cup or two depending upon the bra company that you use.  It is always best to be evaluated in person.

+1

Sounds like you are having a Lift/small Reduction. If you truly desire a B cup than more tissue could be removed. Even liposuction might be an option with the Lift. 

Breast Size After Breast Reduction?

+1

Based on your description,  you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.  325 g removal in your case would likely leave you with a C cup ( keeping in mind that this is only a guess  and not an accurate method of predicting final breast size).

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup”  means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. ‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

325cc Breast Reduction

+1

Based on your pictures, it looks like one side is bigger than the other. A 325g reduction may take you from a D cup to maybe a C cup (or may not change your cup size). If you desire a B cup, your surgeon may remove more than 500g per a side. However, keep in mind that there is no guarantee that the amount removed will result in a specific cup size. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

A C-cup after breast reduction

+1

Your might fit into a full C-cup after your breast reduction, and you will enjoy the lift. The B-cup sounds nice, though in reality the base width of the breast is unlikely to come down to the 'B' range comfortably. The amount of cleavage you have is just not a B-cup shape.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com