TCA Peel for Patient Who Had Cold Sores?

If I have had cold sores in the past, do I have to have medication prescribed before doing an 8% TCA peel? Thank you.

Viral prophylaxis for TCA peel

+1

I agree with Dr. Whitt that prophylaxis would be a good idea and would suggest taking Valtrex as prophylaxis the same day as your chemical peel procedure (2 grams in the morning and 2 grams in the evening).

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Viral Prophylaxis in TCA Peel

+1

Although an 8% peel is very superficial and the likihood of an herpetic infection is very small, I would recommend treating you before and for a few days after your peel.  I give Valtrex to all of my peel or resurfacing patients if they have any history of cold sores, etc.