Restylane, Botox, or Laser Treatment for Under Eye Wrinkles?

Hi there! I just turned 40 and noticed these horrible wrinkles under my eyes when I smile. They are just fine lines when not smiling. I don't really have deep troughs or hollows--just bad smile wrinkles, perhaps due to bleaching creams for dark circles, or lack of sleep over the years.

Nowadays, the concealer sinks into the wrinkle and looks really bad! I am trying to see what procedure is best for me. Which treatment is better among Restylane, Botox and laser treatment? I am desperate for help and guidance. Thank you!

Combination approach for under-eye wrinkling

+2

For my patients with under-eye wrinkling, I have a combination of treatments, the first of which involves a laser to improve skin quality, decrease the wrinkles and improve the color. I generally use two laser light devices: an intense pulsed light treatment (IPL) device and an Erbium laser micropeel. Done over a series, it will require anywhere from 2-4 treatments, depending upon the extent of wrinkling and your own personal response to the lasering. This is then followed by a small amount of BOTOX in the lower eyelids.

I use fillers only if the above regimen does not create enough improvement. The reason I don’t immediately opt for fillers is that they don’t eliminate the wrinkles, and fillers do nothing to improve color.

+1

your description and photo don't match. the lady in the photo should consider surgical options as well. laser is not going to help you. I'm all for retin-A and good skin care but the photo looks like a blepharoplsaty preop picture. see a good surgeon and take the guesswork out of it. if you don't agree, then get a second and third opinion. but an exam is essential.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Best Option for Under Eye Wrinkles?

+1

Hi GoGo.  While we have the option of suggesting injections, lasers or surgery at our practice, for you, we would have to recommend surgery.  Lasers and injections are not going to fix your problems because of the amount of skin and the laxity (looseness).  

A lower blepharoplasty surgery would be our recommendation.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Lower Eyelid Wrinkles

+1

Dynamic wrinkles are much more difficult to deal with than static wrinkles. The reason is if you have severe static lower eyelid wrinkles then removal of skin will help. This can't be done with dynamic wrinkles. I recommend starting in a conservative, cheaper way first. Start with a good peel and follow it with tretinoin (Retin-A). If that doesn't give you enough improvement then I would recommend CO2 laser. I don't think fractionated CO2 really does all that so I wouldn't waste my time.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Crinkling lower lids

+1

Dear GoGo,

You didn't mention surgery in your list of possible treatments. Is this an option for you? If so, it would probably represent the best and most effective option. Botox, fillers and laser would not be mutually exclusive and could be used in any combination for maximal effect. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Treatment of the lower eyelids

+1

Although some patients derive benefit from Botulinum toxin as an off-label use, when injected in the lower eyelid skin, it is done sparingly and closer to the eyelashes. The whole lower eyelid extending to the tear trough (the lowest crease between the eyelid and cheek skin) is not injected as that would cause a weakening of the muscle pump action and swelling or puffiness could increase. Furthermore there might not be enough strength of the muscle to keep the eyelid against the eye and the fallen eyelid would allow the eye to dry out and create an irritated dry eye possibly, and this could last a few months. With the significant pouches you demonstrate in the photograph, I don’t think laser would help that much. It is possible, if these are relatively new for you, that the lightening cream you’re using is stimulating the swelling. Some people get significantly irritated, and some allergic to the hydroquinone which is a common lightening ingredient. This will cause swelling. Try to avoid the lightening cream for at least four weeks. If the swelling decreases, then the lines will look better. Some lasers can improve the texture of the skin but they would not be expected to help the pouches you have. Surgical removal might not address the underlying problem and it may recur.

Ronald Shelton, MD

There are options for eye wrinkles that work differently

+1

Restylane is a filler and can be used to fill in the lost volume that is really the cause of the majority of the reason why your lower eyelid looks the way it does. Fat injections, the YoungLift, Juvederm, Perlane, Radiesse are other fillers that can be filled into the lower eyelid area. The temporary fillers last from 6 months (restylane) to a year or more (radiesse) with perlane and juvederm in between. Fat injections can last much longer but this isn't guaranteed but is the best shot for a long term correction.

Botox prevents the muscle around the eyes from squinting which can make the wrinkles less noticeable. Dysport is a great option. But these do nothing for the surface quality of the skin and neither does the filler. But the fillers can decrease the amount of wrinkles by filling up the volume.

This is where the laser or other resurfacing procedure can help with by decreasing the wrinkles and actually tightening the skin. A small amount of volumizing also occurs with lasers with their creating of a thin collagen layer deep to the skin.

I hope that helps some!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Those Darn Lower Eyelid Wrinkles

+1

Hi Go Go,

Restylane is good for filling the hollows under the lower lids. Botox in very low doses placed along the lower lash line will help a little with the wrinkles.

Fraxel repair laser works very well in many patients (almost as good as surgical blepharoplasty), in other patients it just helps a little.

Lastly, if all else fails, a skin pinch under local anesthesia will remove some of the lax skin.

Above all, choose your physician most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Lower eyelid wrinkles

+1

The squinching of the lower lids wrinkles the skin.  This is from the muscle tightening up and the skin being or poor quality.  A skin excision is often the best solution.

Surgery Best for Lower Eyelid Wrinkles

+1

Surgery (Blepharoplasty) remains to be the best option for reducing wrinkles in the lower eyelid. After that laser resurfacing or chemical peel would be the second best option. Fillers in that area are not good, they are only good for tear trough area. Botox can help some but not enough as too much Botox can cause saggy eyelids.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon