Microdermabrasion for Birthmarks?

I have lots of birthmarks at the back of my left leg and thigh. It's pink. Will Microdermabrasion work for me?

No, it will not.

+1
First of all, the answer is NO. Microdermabrasion only treats the outermost layers of your skin. Secondly, you will require a diagnosis before treatment. 

If the lesion or birthmark is vascular (this means blood vessels, due to the fact that they are pink), then vascular lasers such as the 532, 595, or 755 nm lasers are possible means for improvement or removal. Regardless, most birthmarks will require multiple treatments, and test spots are recommended, especially on the legs. 

You really need to see a dermatologist for a diagnosis, before treatment. 

Regards

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist, BRISBANE
Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

Microdermabrasion is not treatment of choice for birthmark

+1
If the lesion is truly a birthmark, micro dermabrasion, which is extremely superficial, will not be successful in removing the pigmentation. Stronger dermabrasion has its own risks and will not fully excise the lesion. I recommend an initial consultation with a dermatollgist for evaluation and then, if removal is indicated, referral to a plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Microdermabrasion is usually a more superficial procedure

+1

Birth marks usually have a deeper component within the skin. Microdermabrasion is a superficial type of treatment that is not usually done to remove birthmarks. However, if done aggressively with more suction and more passes you can make the microdermabrasion reach deeper. There are some microdermabrasion machines that are medical profession strength that can be used more aggressively. Lasers, actual excision of the mark, laser resurfacing, dermabrasion are other options.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon