Suggested Laser Treatment to Remove Sun Damage?

I'm considering laser treatment for removing sun damage. I have brown spots and a lot of discoloration from repeated sun exposure. I am 52 years old and would like to know which procedure you suggest.

Laser for Sun Damage

+1

Carol,

You could be treated with an IPL device alone, which is not a laser at all, but works very well to treat pigmentation abnormalities as well as fine broken blood vessels.  

You could also add resurfacing at the same time to remove superficial pigmentation within the epidermis.  I often treat patients with these two modalities at the same time to maximize their results.

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers for sun damage

+1

You need to see a physician to evaluate what types of sun damage and pigmentation you have. There are many different types of lasers. Some work on red and brown color, others work on fine lines, some are meant to treat both coloration problems and improve the texture of the skin, and radiofrequency devices, such as Thermage, may help tighten the skin.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Laser for sun damage

+1

You ask a very good question about what type of laser is best for your sun damage. It really depends on what you are looking to improve. Every laser has its own unique properties that make it better for treating specific things.

It if is JUST brown spots such as sun freckles, I think "q-switched" lasers, vbeam (which is a pulse dye laser), or gentlemax (which is an alexandrite laser) are good options.

If it is brown spots from genetics such as spots we call seborreic keratosis, non-laser treatments may be more effective.

If it is discoloration called melasma, bleaching creams and chemical peels can be effective methods.

I think it is important to have a physician evaluate your face and see what the diagnosis is so they can make a good decision on the right treatments. Good luck!

Tomi L. Wall, MD
Oakland Dermatologist

Brown spots from sun damage are easy to remove with IPL lasers

+1

Brown spots caused by sun damage are a very common problem and, fortunately, they are relatively easy to remove. There are a great number of lasers that can be used to treat these spots many of which are quite effective. Often the sun damaged areas will be treated with Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) lasers and there are many companies that make these lasers. IPL treatments take about 10 minutes to treat a persons face, a procedure often done with topical numbing cream. The spots darken over the course of a few days and then dry up and flake off. The results can be dramatic as most patients can expect an 80 to 90% improvement in the spots. Furthermore, the darker the spots, the easier they are to remove!

Hope this helps.

Jonathan Sonne, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon