How Long to Wait for Lower Face and Neck Lift Revision Surgery?

I am 4 months post op from lower face and neck lift. When I look forward with my head raised my jawline looks perfectly smooth. If I smile, turn or lower my head I have terrible creasing and folds in my left jawline and lower cheek (see photo). My right side looks perfectly fine. My PS thinks this may be scar tissue and wants to undermine this area and under my chin again.

If this is scar tissue, why does this happen? What's to prevent this from reoccuring with a revision? How long should I wait for revision surgery?

Irregular creasing of jawline skin after lower face and necklift

This creasing likely will not improve over time without followup surgery. Your surgeon is right and the skin needs to be released. This can likely be done under local anesthesia, possibly with some Valium. Anytime would be the right time after 4 months. 

Revision surgery of any kind should not be performed before six months have elapsed.  Ideally one year is even more prudent.

If the area in question was not treated  at all at the time of the initial surgery, then revision surgery may be carried out sooner rather than later.

Dr. Carlos Cordoba
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Let your surgeon decide that

There is no magical timetable for revisions such as yours. Your own surgeon is your best guide.  Once surgeon determines that swelling has subsided and stabilized the surgery can be done. Often 6-12 months are required to reach that state.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Non surgical facelift in Los Angeles

Our office specializes in facelift surgery and revision facelift surgery. One of the best options for revision surgery in some cases is the Ultherapy non surgical lift. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Facelift revision

In a case like yours where you need the lift revised extensively, it is usually safest to wait about a year from the original surgery.  The reason is that there is scar tissue under the skin that takes time to soften up.  Minor revisions can be done sooner, but in your case, wait a year.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Timing for Lower Face and Neck Lift Revision Surgery

You may be a candidate for a revision, but should wait between 6 months and a year. Communicate your concerns clearly but calmly to your surgeon so he/she can continue to monitor, and respond appropriately at the correct time. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Facelift revision - How long to wait ?

The general rule of thumb is to wait at least for a year for edema to resolve and suppleness to return. In some cases if the skin and underlying tissue is supple and your surgeon thinks it might resolve a few months less would be considered.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Neck Lift Revision?

After reviewing your photos, I would suggest that you wait at least 6 months before revisional surgery. Your result may improve with the passage of time. If it doesn't, then waiting will allow the soft tissues to soften. This will increase your likelyhood for a better result. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Creases on the neck after lower facelift

Dear Lower Facelift Patient from Massachusetts,
The creasing or “pleating” appearance of skin on your left side of the neck could be contributed from inadequate undermining and re-draping of the skin flap during the surgery. If you wish to correct it, I would recommend waiting another 6 months before pursuing revision. Good luck

Kevin Sadati, DO

Face lift

After review your pictures I believe you will need a revision but is important still to wait at least six months after your surgery.