How Long to Wait for Lower Face and Neck Lift Revision Surgery?

I am 4 months post op from lower face and neck lift. When I look forward with my head raised my jawline looks perfectly smooth. If I smile, turn or lower my head I have terrible creasing and folds in my left jawline and lower cheek (see photo). My right side looks perfectly fine. My PS thinks this may be scar tissue and wants to undermine this area and under my chin again.

If this is scar tissue, why does this happen? What's to prevent this from reoccuring with a revision? How long should I wait for revision surgery?

Neck Lift Revision?

+3

After reviewing your photos, I would suggest that you wait at least 6 months before revisional surgery. Your result may improve with the passage of time. If it doesn't, then waiting will allow the soft tissues to soften. This will increase your likelyhood for a better result. Good luck.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Wait a year for face/neck lift revision surgery.

+2

It is important to wait at least a year prior to embarking on further revision surgery on your neck. The pleats that are present upon looking to the left are caused by excess skin contracted down to bare platysma with loss of intervening fat. The posterior portion of the skin appears it has also been rotated too far anteriorly in the postauricular area and needs to be re-draped.

Waiting Time for Revision Facelift

+1
Except in cases where there has been a complication which requires urgent attention, the general rule is at least 6 months before revision facelift. Subtle changes will continue to occur up to a year, however. If you can wait that long, it may be worth considering.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Irregular creasing of jawline skin after lower face and necklift

+1
This creasing likely will not improve over time without followup surgery. Your surgeon is right and the skin needs to be released. This can likely be done under local anesthesia, possibly with some Valium. Anytime would be the right time after 4 months. 

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Non surgical facelift in Los Angeles

+1

Our office specializes in facelift surgery and revision facelift surgery. One of the best options for revision surgery in some cases is the Ultherapy non surgical lift. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Facelift revision

+1

In a case like yours where you need the lift revised extensively, it is usually safest to wait about a year from the original surgery.  The reason is that there is scar tissue under the skin that takes time to soften up.  Minor revisions can be done sooner, but in your case, wait a year.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Timing for Lower Face and Neck Lift Revision Surgery

+1

You may be a candidate for a revision, but should wait between 6 months and a year. Communicate your concerns clearly but calmly to your surgeon so he/she can continue to monitor, and respond appropriately at the correct time. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Facelift revision - How long to wait ?

+1

The general rule of thumb is to wait at least for a year for edema to resolve and suppleness to return. In some cases if the skin and underlying tissue is supple and your surgeon thinks it might resolve a few months less would be considered.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Creases on the neck after lower facelift

+1

Dear Lower Facelift Patient from Massachusetts,
The creasing or “pleating” appearance of skin on your left side of the neck could be contributed from inadequate undermining and re-draping of the skin flap during the surgery. If you wish to correct it, I would recommend waiting another 6 months before pursuing revision. Good luck

Kevin Sadati, DO

LOWER FACELIFT & NECK LIFT REVISION - WAIT 1 YEAR BEFORE DOING THE FACELIFT AGAIN

+1

Revision surgery of any kind should not be performed before six months have elapsed.  Ideally one year is even more prudent.

If the area in question was not treated  at all at the time of the initial surgery, then revision surgery may be carried out sooner rather than later.

Dr. Carlos Cordoba
MDCM, CSPQ, FRCS, FACS
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8
514-932-7667

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon