Does Liposuction Cause an Increase of Cellulite?

I am looking to have the procedure done to my thighs (saddle bags) and my hips. I have minimal amount of cellulite on my thighs and get endermology done regularly to keep it that way!

Liposuction and Cellulite?

+2

“Cellulite"  refers to irregularities that occurred on the surface of the skin. Liposuction will not cure or necessarily cause cellulite;  it will remove fat and reduce contour.  Patients with severe cases of cellulite  will not benefit from liposuction surgery and may require skin excision (for example  tummy tuck or thigh lifting)  to achieve the desired results.

Cellulite and liposuctioning

+2

The answer is yes BUT it doesn't always make it worse and rarely can give a better appearance. The bottom line is this: if the surgeon is careful and conservative the risk is less. If the surgeon is inexperienced or gets too aggressive the risk increases. I always try to gage my patient's tolerance for making cellulite worse vs how much fat they want removed.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction does not improve Cellulite

+1

Preoperative obesity, cellulite, stretch marks, a history of back and forth (yo-yo) weight change, or loose, sagging, inelastic skin, are problems which would tend toward poor results during a liposuction. In fact, these problems may be worsened by liposuction and may be best addressed by other procedures such as a leg or body lift (e.g. tummy tuck to improve your appearance. Basically, liposuction does not cause cellulite if performed correctly (in the right tissue plane and not removing excessive or uneven amounts), but the procedure may make existing cellulite more obvious or prominent.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Liposuction is not a treatment for cellulite

+1

Liposuction reduces the volume of fat, it does not consistently improve the appearance of cellulite. Sometimes, cellulite actually looks more apparaent after liposuction, and other patients see improvement.

Cellulite is apparent as connective tissue bands that are attached to the overlying superficial dermis and anchored to the undelying subcutaneous tissue. As the tissues engorge secondary to fluid retention, fat accumulation and hormonal influences, the swelling of the tissue occurs in all areas except immediately over the vertical collagen bands that hold down the skin. So, similar to the buttons on the top of a mattress, there are multiple areas of indentations in between the swellings.

Some physicians reported a technique where a sharp liposuction cannula was used to break up the collagen attachments and also tried fat injections to raise up the indentations. This apparaently has not been effective as most physicians are not doing this procedure. It might, in fact, make it worse.

No surgeon can guarantee that the cellulite will not worsen after liposuction. It is a risk that you have to be willing to accept for the tradeoff of the benefit of volume reduction via liposuction. Also, if some cellulite worsens, it doesn't mean that it would happen in the entire surgical area.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction does not affect cellulite

+1

If properly done liposuction will not affect cellulite. It will not make it better or worse. See an experienced liposuction surgeon and you should not have a problem.

Liposuction will not cause cellulite and it's not a treatment for cellulite

+1

Liposuction will not cause cellulite and it's not a treatment for cellulite.  There are some FDA approved machines for reducing cellulite such as the VelaShape by Syneron that requires a series of treatments.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and cellulite

+1

Cellulite does not get better or worse with liposuction. Liposuction is definitely not a solution for treatment of cellulite. For that matter endermologie does not have a big effect on this either.

Cellulite after Lipo: Probably not better or worse

+1

I agree with most of the other responses. Liposuction generally does not make cellulite better nor does it make it worse either.

Robert Pollack, MD

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Well performed liposuction will not increase cellulite

+1

Hi!

I guess every one does things differently, but in our hands, using SUPERFICIAL liposuction and subdermal tunneling at the end of the procedure, cellulite is often improved.  Of course it depends on the patient, and it cannot be guaranteed, but at least cellulite should definitely not be worse.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction and Cellulite

+1

Liposuction certainly is not done for cellulite and if performed correctly should limit the risks of accentuating the appearance of the cellulite. I tell my patients not to expect improvement in the cellulite, but occasionally there is improvement. Unfortuantely, the results are unpredicatlbe for cellulite but very predictable for contouring of the bulging areas.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon