Will Laser Treatment Make Ingrown Hair Come Out?

Will the lasered ingrown hair come out or it will stay under the skin? I had an ingrown hair and had it lasered. I don't see any hair but the bump is still there. I had two laser treatments to date.

Laser for ingrown hairs

+2

I dont recommend laser for ingrown hairs. In theory the laser could destroy the follicular bulb housing the root of the hair or incidentally by "singing" the hair shaft, but in either scenario the intent is not to "treat" in grown hairs. An ingrown hair is typically a hair shaft that has curled back into the skin. These are often frustrating and difficult to treat.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Often you will get good results

+1

The hair may get pushed out eventually or dissolve; but, this can take a very long time. People who develop bumps from ingrown hairs, pseudofolliculitis barbae, have very good results often with this treatment. The bumps do tend to fade after a while and with less new ingrown hair growth, the bumps flatten.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Laser Hair Removal works well for razor bumps.

+1

When you get ingrown hairs and bumps, the condition is called: pseudofolliculitis barbae. I have found that IPL Permanent hair removal is an excellent remedy for this recurrent, annoying condition.

If you have a persistent bump after laser treatments, and the hair no longer grows, it could be scar tissue from chronic inflammation. This can often respond well to a triamcinolone injection. Ask your doctor or dermatologist.

I hope this is helpful, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does laser remove ingrown hairs?

+1

The laser hair removal destroys the growth portion of the hair (the follicule) but does not remove the hair itself. To some degree, this becomes a piece of material like an absorbable stitch that is eventually absrorbed by the body or is rejected similar to a splinter. The laser should prevent the ingrown hair from coming back.