Is the Natrelle Breast Kit Really All That Accurate?

i was about to order the Natrelle breast kit to "try on" the idea of new breast size and what silicone breast implants may look like. my gf told me that she hated her kit, that it showed ripples and made the boobs pushed together.  maybe she orderred the wrong sizes. can the surgeons tell me if they recommend the natrelle kit for their patients and are there secrets to making it work out better than my friends case? thx much!

Breast Implant Sizing

+2
I would not waste my money on it. You only get 4 implants sizes and that is it. You can get a pair of panty hose, sports bra, measuring cup and rice and make your own implants. You can see a description of it on my website journal.
But just discuss this with the plastic surgeon you are going to see and also get their input. But all my patients try the rice test and it gets to be pretty close to their sizing post op.
Good luck.

It's only a guide

+1

The implants in the kit are used as a guide. In my office I have patients wear a sports bra and put the sizers in the bra. The kit has you put them in the pockets which doesn't give enough compression. This is only a guide and you have to know what's going to happen in the surgery. This is where the expertise of the plastic surgeon comes in. So see your surgeon and work with him to determine the correct size.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Not very useful.

+1

Hi!

I think the Natrelle kit is primarily for marketing. You should just make sure your surgeon knows the look you like. Show him pictures.

Then she or he should measure your chest and your breasts, and tell you what sizes and shapes are safe and attractive for your anatomy. You decide together.

In New York, we make the final choice during surgery, by using disposable implant sizers inside your breasts, before we open the permanent breast implants. A sizer costs only $45, and it takes all the guess work out.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

The natrelle kit

+1

The Natrelle kit is just another modality to get a rough idea of what implants might look like.  It provides a very gross gauge for a patient.  It really is not much different than the cheap "baggy test" that I suggest my patients try at home after their consultation.

It is another tool in the educational process

+1

Nothing can replace the interaction between you and your surgeon regarding what your eventual outcome may be. Your surgeon will listen to your desires and wishes and help guide you in the decision -making process. Your surgeon will likely take measurements of your breast and chest dimensions and assess the elasticity and thickness of your breast tissues. This key information will allow your surgeon to help you choose the device that is most appropriate for you and your tissues and also allow you to (realistically) achieve your goals.

The Natrelle sizing kit is a great starting point for this educational process. If you like your appearance with the sizers in and increased breast fullness, then go to the next step and have a consultation with an experienced breast surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. You might also want to look for a surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Surgery.

The Natrelle sizing kit contains coupons from Allergan for some of their oither products so it ends up being cost effective as well.

Best of Luck

John E. Gross, MD

There is no great system

+1

Women struggle with this decision and there is no great way to help you identify what size is best for you without the help of your surgeon. Nothing placed above the skin can mimic a surgically placed implant.

The kit intentionally avoids putting numbers on the sizers so that you do not have preconceived ideas before going to your surgeon. The forms are to help you see the overall shape of the chest when the devices are in your garment. You are not making a silicone versus saline decision or even deciding between 275 cc and 350cc.

If used properly this is an aid to deciding if this procedure is right for you. Your surgeon will measure you and then discuss implant profiles and breast aesthetics during your consultation.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

That's not the point of the kit

+1

The Natrelle sizing kit has one purpose: to help you decide in the privacy fo your own home whether you like the way you look with bigger breasts.

They are not made out of the same material as the real implants, which are much softer and prettier.

And the final size will be selected by your surgeon together with you based upon the measurements of your tissues and your goals.

So...do you prefer the general way your body looks with the sizers in your bra? If so, then get a consultation with an ASAPS member plastic surgeon.

And one other nice thing about the kit....there are lots of discount coupons on the implants and other stuff that makes the kit pay for itself!

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

Natrelle breast kit not intended to be accurate

+1

The whole point of the Natrelle kit is just to have a chance to do something interactive and demystify the process of considering augmentation a little bit. The sizers will conform to the bra and of course come in only a limited number of sizes. A lot goes into the sizing decision and the Natrelle kit isn't meant to replace that.

Richard Baxter, MD

Natrelle breast implant kit: a good start

+1

If you don't know about what size you want, it is a good start. Nothing looks quite like the real thing, so it is designed to give you a rough idea. A consultation with a board certified experienced plastic surgeon can never be replaced with a mail order kit, but here, the sizers can give you a rough idea in the privacy of your own home where you can try on different outfits with the sizers in place.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Natrelle kit is nice adjunct to sizing with your surgeon

+1

The Natrelle sizing kit has some limitations:

1) The implants all have abnormally high amounts of rippling around the periphery - much greater than a standard breast implant.

2) The implants are filled with neither silicone or saline; they're filled with mineral oil, which really doesn't feel like either.

3) The implants are all low profile; very few implants placed for cosmetic purposes are shaped like this.

That being said, it's a nice starting point prior to consultation with a plastic surgeon. In a bra, you can get a very general sense about implant sizes. It also come with an instructional DVD which answers a lot of questions about breast augmentations, and comes with coupons for discounts on breast implants, Botox, Juvederm and Latisse (all $50 off). Seeing how the kit costs $40 with a $5 shipping and handling fee, it's still a pretty good value.

Sam Jejurikar, MD