PRP Facial Rejuvenation Fact Review?

Does PRP facial rejuvenation work? How would you compare it to Botox and fillers?

PRP Platelet Rich Plasma

+3

Hi Tony

I so love questions from the Realself.com community because it keeps me aware of all the crazy things out there.

Consider finding my Realself article on eyetight that talks about how to personally evaluate new technology.

PRP claims improvement in facial appearance with the injection of the patient's own plasma. Essentially, blood is drawn from you, spun and the plasma in injected under the skin with the implication that growth factors in this liquid stimulate rejuvenation. The problem with this great idea is there is no a shred of scientific evidence that it even remotely works. The before and after pictures of this procedure on various web sites are either very unimpressive, show patients who have clearly had other services, or have obvious manipulation of the lighting between the before and after images. If you want proven treatment stick with BOTOX and Restylane. If you want something that is unproven and most likely ineffective, try RPR.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com/steinsapir/choosing-a-cosmetic-surgeon.html

PRP for rejuvenation

+2

This is a modality that is not widely accepted. Some things in medicine may make common sense and not necessarily medical sense. For example: A raisin is a dehydrated grape but that does not mean rubbing water on a raisin will turn it into a grape. PRP is a concentrated portion of your blood. However when you bleed under the skin (bruises or hematomas) the area does not look younger.

PRP is excellent for Facial Rejuvenation

+1

PRP, or Autologous Platelet Healing Gel is made from a natural component of the patient’s own blood that is used to aid in the quicker recovery following certain cosmetic procedures. 

I have been using platelet healing gel since 2000 and, each year, use platelet healing gel in over 500 patients. This process is truly changing the way many plastic surgical procedures are performed. It is used at the end of a procedure and sprayed under the skin where it reduces bruising, swelling and speeds healing. Because it is so concentrated, it acts as a wound sealant (tissue glue). This eliminates the need for dressings and drains, and also reduces the incidence of hematomas (blood collections) and seromas (fluid collections). It also reduces bruising and swelling. In addition, it promotes more rapid healing by secreting healing and growth factors which enhance recovery.

More recently, doctors are using PRP in combination with fillers or lasers to enhance results. Stem-cell technology uniquely blended with Hyaluronic acid therapy (Juvederm, Restylane & Belotero) and the most advanced non-ablative fractional laser skin resurfacing help to create a natural result.   These harnessed stem cells facilitate healing and add volume to help tighten skin.

Web reference: http://www.drclevens.com/platelet-healing-gel.html

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon