Dental Implants Vs. Bridges: the Best Solution for Lost Tooth?

the NY TImes article "A Dental Shift: Implants Instead of Bridges" states: "In an overwhelming majority of cases, implants to replace lost teeth are by far the best long-term solution for maintaining a healthy mouth. Also, because they rarely need to be replaced, in the long run they are more economical than bridges." Do you agree with this statement?

Dental implants are often more economical than bridges

+6

I believe dental implants are often more economical than bridges. They are more conservative, have a high success rate, preserve bone and don't decay. In my experience, patients choose bridges over implants not because a successful implant isn't possible, but only because of higher up front cost. Implants are not only the standard of care, but a better value as well.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants better than Bridges

+2

As the article states, more people are choosing Implants over bridges. As far as being more economical, the main reason is that dental implants have a higher success rate and rarely need to be replaced. according to certain studies, bridgework may only last 8-10 years on the average.

A dental bridge has a fake tooth or "pontic" that rests on the gums. This is a very difficult situation to create a realistic looking tooth. Dental implants are placed below the gum surface and the crown erupts through the tissue just like a natural tooth. In addition, as the name states, a bridge splints the adjacent teeth together making hygiene difficult.

One major reason that people may choose an option is whether or not they wish to undergo a specific procedure. Although relatively non invasive, a Dental Implant placement is a surgical procedure. On the other hand, a bridge requires that the teeth on either side of the toothless space be trimmed down to support the fake tooth. A bridge is still a very good restoration, however a Dental Implant is the state of the art way to replace a tooth and the "standard of care".

The most important benefit of Dental Implants is often unrecognized. When a tooth is lost the bone is no longer in function. Because of this the bone slowly begins to disappear in this area. Denture patients often have little bony ridge remaining, and often times loss of a single tooth leads to an aesthetic nightmare. Implants act just like a natural tooth in terms of stimulating the bone. By placing an implant you are not only replacing a missing tooth, but you are maintaining bone

Bradley J. Daar, DDS
Hartford Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants Provide a New Standard of Care

+2

Yes dental implants are superior to bridges.  Bridges had a strong place in the past, but today dental implants are the most advanced and conservative option for replacing missing teeth.  I tell patients missing single teeth that dental implants are a "single tooth solution to a single tooth problem" meaning when you have one tooth missing implants won't involve the teeth surrounding the missing tooth.  Bridges require the teeth adjacent to the missing tooth to be reduced down even if they have no current problems to hold the bridge, but dental implants do not since they stand alone to hold the implant crown.  Dental implants are affordable and less expensive over the course of years giving you many advantages over bridges.

Gregory Allen Kerbel, DDS
Dallas Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants vs. Bridges: Replacing Missing Teeth

+2

I agree completely that - except under certain circumstances -- dental implants are superior to bridges for replacing missing teeth. If you smoke, have untreated periodontal disease, have a large bony defect, or have two missing front teeth that are right next to one another you may be a better candidate for a bridge. The best way for you to find out is to consult with an experienced cosmetic dentist or prosthodontist who does a lot of implants.

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

+1
Deciding whether to do a dental implant versus a cemented bridge involves answering several questions. The first questions to answer are, why is the tooth missing and what is the condition of the rest of the mouth?
if you happen to be cavity prone, then dental implants can be a godsend because a dental implant has zero chance of getting a cavity. Likewise, if the neighboring teeth adjacent to the missing tooth are healthy, then it doesn't make sense to drill them down to make a cemented bridge. Another factor to keep in mind is that any time you make a cemented bridge for a patient you slightly increase the risk of getting a cavity because it becomes more difficult to clean around the bridge than when you have separate teeth.

The only time that it truly makes sense to do a cemented bridge to replace a missing tooth is when the neighboring teeth are already filled and the patient demonstrates excellent homecare and cavity control.

I hope that you found this to be helpful,
Dr. Champagne

Richard Champagne, DMD
Freehold Cosmetic Dentist

Depends

+1
If the teeth on either side of the space are virgin teeth, no question, an implant is the best choice.  If the teeth on either side have crowns or large fillings, it is worth considering a bridge.

Kathy Frazar, DDS, FAGD
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Implants versus bridges

+1
If you are unfortunate to lose a tooth and are thinking about a replacement then think twice about a bridge 
A bridge involves cutting down other teeth
If the teeth we're healthy then it is  a shame to deteriorate their health
If the teeth are heavily filled then a bridge may cause the failure of the filling
You are better to replace 1 tooth with 1 implant instead of using 2  teeth that are otherwise healthy and intact
implants are an artificial way to replace what nature gave you

Raj Kumar, BDS, LDSRCS
London Cosmetic Dentist

Are Implants The Best Solution for a Lost Tooth?

+1

In general, I agree that most of the time implants are preferable to fixed bridges.  As other dentists answering this question have stated, clearly implants have many advantages. 

However, there are times when the advantages of a fixed bridge may suggest that a fixed bridge would be preferable to the use of an implant.  Cost is usually somewhat higher for a single implant than a fixed 3 unit bridge, and that is usually the single biggest reason patients choose a bridge instead of an implant.  The second reason is wishing to avoid surgery.  A third is that some dental insurance plans do not cover implants, but will cover bridges.

If one already has crowns on either side of the missing tooth, then placing a 3 unit bridge may be preferable because it would then avoid any surgeries and the result is that the three teeth would all match.

Another challenge with implants is when they're used in the front of the mouth.  Sometimes there is a resultant loss of gum tissue after tooth removal and implant placement that leaves a space or hole between the teeth that looks unattractive and accumulates food debris.  There are times when cosmetic dentists may prefer a porcelain bridge over an implant because it oftentimes gives them more control over eliminating those holes or gaps.

I don't agree with the statement that implants rarely need to be replaced, implying that bridges do.  That statement is misleading.  First, I agree that the actual implant, if properly done, rarely will need replacement.  However, implants still need a middle piece, called an abutment, and then a crown over the top of the abutment.  I would expect the same lifetime for the implant crown as a conventional crown or fixed bridge.

What is really important is that the patient be fully informed as to the different solutions, advantages and disadvantages to each, difference in costs, and any risks and potential complications. 

Now, saying all that, as a dentist I would not hesitate to have an implant if I lost one of my teeth. In most cases I would prefer to have an implant in my mouth than a bridge.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants vs Bridges

+1

I love this article! I actually have a copy of it and give it to patients who need to make this decision. The article is well written and I agree with all the statements.

An implants costs about $3500. A 3 piece bridge replacing one tooth also costs about the same. 

Over time the implant will require no maintenance. Over time the bridge will have to be replaced with additional costs. Most bridges last 10-15 years. 

Most implants last forever. Dental implants are the only treatment that dentist offer that do not need to be replaced in the future.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist