How Many Teeth Can Be Replaced with Dental Implants?

My teeth are in really bad shape. I have missing teeth and the teeth I have left are not in the best condition. I am looking to replace quite a few and wanted to know how many teeth can one person have implanted. Please help!

Number of Teeth That Can Be Replaced With Dental Implants

+2
There is no limit to how many teeth can be replaced in a healthy mouth. You do not need to have every tooth replaced. You can replace a few teeth and bridge them together as well. There are many options. I highly recommend you see your periodontist or Oral surgeon for a consultation to determine the best option for you!

Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

How many teeth can implants replace

+1
Dental implants can be used to replace anywhere from a single tooth to an entire set of teeth.
There were times when it doesn't make sense to perform extensive treatment to save a tooth versus replacing it with an implant. The wonderful thing about replacing teeth with dental implants, especially for somebody who's been cavity prone, is that they will never get a cavity.

Richard Champagne, DMD
Freehold Cosmetic Dentist

One to twenty eight

+1
You can replace a single tooth to all 28 in your mouth.  You can also put a whole arch of teeth on just four to six implants.

Kathy Frazar, DDS, FAGD
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

If all teeth are missing then 4 to 8 implants are needed in each arch (upper arch or lower arch)

+1
We routinely replace missing teeth with implants with these guidelines. One tooth missing gets one implant, one abutment and one crown. Two adjacent teeth missing is generally two implants, two abutments and two crowns that may be splinted or separate. three missing teeth adjacent to one another gets two implants, two abutments and three teeth in the form of a 3-unit bridge. Four teeth missing same as the three but with four-unit bridge.Six missing may be three implants ideally, seven missing may be three implants, eight to ten are missing may be four  or five implants and 9 or 10 missing teeth needs either 4,5 or 6 implants. For maximum lifetime, the higher the number of implants the stronger and longer the crown and bridge will last. 8 implants is all that should ever be needed in a single arch to replace all 14 teeth (third molars are not usually replaced).

Available bone is the key to how many implants an be placed. That is why bone grafts are beneficial when needed. All of the above is discussed viewing fixed crown and bridge as the final restoration. If one wishes removable denture that snap or screw in, then different options exist. There is always a good answer for any dental condition.

Bill Williams, DMD, MAGD
Suwanee Cosmetic Dentist

Numer of Dental Implants

+1
You need a CBCT scan and 3D planning to know how much available healthy bone. Make sure you choose a Doctor who uses all the technology available and uses 3D guided surgery.

Tanya Long, DMD
Louisville Cosmetic Dentist

There are many options for a smile makeover with dental implants

+1

The great thing about dental implants is that they open up several options for a patient. Discuss with your dentist how many of your natural teeth may be saved. For the remaining spaces implants may be used to either hold fixed teeth or bridges similar to those of natural teeth. Another option is the implants may also be used to help stabilize and retain partial or full dentures. By using implants to retain dentures, it generally increases stability and often times may increase ethetics. At your consult your dentist will recommend which options are best for your case and the expectations, benefits, and considerations of each option.

Charles Sutera, DMD
Boston Cosmetic Dentist

Number of Dental Implants

+1

For the upper arch a minimum of 4 implants are required to support a removable denture. If you want a fixed prosthesis that cannot be removed you will need 6-10 implants.

For the lower arch a minimum of 2 implants are required to support a removable denture. If you want fixed prosthesis you will need 5-10 implants.

The number of implants that can be placed is dependent on the amount of bone remaining.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

How many dental implants are needed?

+1

Todays technology and the variety of implant sizes and shapes generally can allow implants to be placed almost anywhere.  This being said, the amount of bone available is a limiting factor.  If you are missing 3 teeth on the lower arch, many times 3 implants will be placed if there is sufficient bone and space.  You can however, place two implants and use a  3 tooth implant bridge.

If you are missing most of your teeth or they have very poor long term prognosis, many times the All-on-4 technology can be used to anchor a full dental bridge in place.  An all-on-4 technique may even have 6 implants placed.

In overview, there are numerous options that implant dentists can offer their patients.

Ronald W. Konig DDS, FAGD, LVIF

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

There are many options

+1

I have seen (rarely) every tooth individually replaced with an implant.  IF you have few teeth remaining, a more common scenario is to place several implants in each arch and build a prosthesis to replace the teeth. This piece can be screwed to the implants or can be removable on a daily basis by you.  A great dentist will walk you through the options in your case.  It will make a world of difference in your life, I assure you.  Best of luck to you!

John Whittemore, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist