Estimated Breast Size After Breast Reduction?

I am 5'9" tall and I weigh 255 lbs. I'm currently a DDD cup. If I would have 300 grams removed from each breast, what would my estimated cup size be after breast reduction?

Estimated size after breast reduction

+2

Your dimensions of "5'9" tall and 255 lbs." ALSO give you a BMI of 37.8 (kg/squared meter) and a Body surface area (BSA) of 2.378 squared meters.

If your Plastic surgeon followed the Schnur table (http://www.bcbst.com/mpmanual/The_Schnur_Sliding_Scale_chart.htm) mandated by many of the insurers in this country, for a BSA of 2.35 meters squared (just smaller than yours) each of your breasts would have to be reduced by an average 1,167grams (2.57 pounds) - or 4 times the 300 gram reduction you inquire about.

Frankly, it does not make much sense to reduce DDD breasts by 300 grams each. Your cup size would be minimally reduced despite your acquiring surgical scars and taking on surgical risks. Moreover, any breast lift gained by the operation would be VERY short lasting AND your shoulder and neck symptoms will not be improved.

Breast Size after breast reduction

+1

No one can predict the exact breast cup size you will achieve after the reduction.

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Size after Breast Reduction

+1

You may have noticed that Bra sizing is not standardized, similar to clothing sizes-- so the bra size is an inaccurate way to quantify your reduciton-- but since this is how we speak about Breast Size, we are limited to using this flawed method.  Never the less, for a patient with your height and weight, a 300 gram reduction would likely be a smaller result.  Good Luck!  Dr. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction targeted cup size

+1

BigMC,

The eventual cup size after breast reduction is a function of what is taken out as well as what remains. Without a photo, my comments are perforce generalities. At a height of 5'9" and weight of 255lbs, your Body Mass Index is above average. I would assume that the DDD cup size has a significant fatty composition and possibly that you have been big busted for most of your adult life. In counseling you about breast reduction, a surgeon should take into account your aesthetic as well as functional needs. On top of that, the insurance companies usually impose a weight/breast (grams), which is predicated on your Body Mass Index. Understandably, they do not usually cover breast lifts, which are essentially a breast reduction but taking less weight.

That being said, a "reduction" of 300gm/side in an individual who wears DDD would probably only yield a D-DD cup size, which may be inadequate to solve any of the musculoskeletal or integumentary (skin rash) issues you may be experiencing. Be frank with your PS consultant about what you would like to maintain, after your reduction; I am confident that (s)/he will try to accomodate your desires. Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Breast size after reduction

+1

If you have a breast reduction removing approximately 300g from your breast and you currently wear a DDD bra, it is likely that you will only reduce your breasts by 1 to 2 cup sizes, estimating a final size of between a D to a DD. This is only an estimate, and your breasts would need to be examined to give you a better idea. Many women do not wear the correct bra before surgery, and your final size would vary according to how much your breasts are being lifted too.

If you are looking to reduce your breasts for cosmetic reasons and to get an uplift, you may be perfectly happy with this amount of reduction, but if you are looking to reduce them because of current symptoms, I doubt you would get much relief with this amount of reduction.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

A breast reduction of 330 gms for a person with a DDD breast cup size will probably not amount to a significant breast reduction.  You probably need more tissue removed to lower your cup size.

Breast reduction or lift

+1

Bigmc,

You make no mention about whether you have symptoms, such as back or neck pain, from large breasts that are causing you to seek breast reduction surgery. If you do have such symptoms, you may not get relief from the relatively small reduction that you have chosen (relative to your size). Although the plastic surgery literature supports the fact that small reductions (200-300 grams) usually result in significant improvement in quality of life and relief of symptoms, this is in proportion to body size. It is difficult to determine what your goals are and whether you have taken any other steps in attempt to reach them. A weight loss program, or even bariatric surgery (stomach bypass or constricting bands) may be other methods to first reduce your weight and observe what the effects are on your breasts. A 300 gram reduction on DDD breasts in a 255 pound woman is not the optimal scenario from a plastic surgeon's perspective. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Breast reduction sizing

+1

Very difficult to say without seeing what your breasts look like and how dense they are. But that is not a significant reduction and likely would not be very therapeutic for you. I would say you may be smaller by a little more than a cup size, if you are truly the bra size you say you are.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Size after Breast reduction

+1

It is always difficult to estimate cup sizes following surgery; in fact, it is impossible to state with certainy. You should always tell your surgeon your ideal size, but this serves only as a framework with no guarantees. With the numbers you have given, my guess is that you would be a D-DD cup with a 300gm reduction.

John Whitt, MD

Cup size is hard to estimate after breast reduction

+1

Cup size is very hard to estimate both before and after breast reduction, though most patients can expect to fit a standard off the rack D cup after a breast reduction. Others may also achieve a C cup if the breast shape will allow. Before reduction stated cup size can be misleading as patients will struggle to find any bra that they can wear, and often wear the 'best' of what they can find. You may not be a true DDD before the reduction. A reduction of 300 grams is a rather modest breast reduction given your stated cup size estimate. Given your height and weight we would estimate a reduction of 650 grams for each breast to get close to the D cup if this is your goal. You should discuss the size you hope to achieve and the estimated amount of breast tissue to be removed with your surgeon beforehand.

peterejohnsonmd