Waiting Period for Breast Reduction or Lift After Weight Loss?

I have recently lost 46 lbs and have about 15 more to go. My breast size has not decreased significantly, only from a DDD cup to a DD cup. How long after my weight loss is complete should I wait to have a breast reduction or breast lift? Thank you.

Weight loss prior to breast reduction

+3

You don't state your age, but the proportion of fat to gland in the female breast usually in creases with age so loosing weight may have little effect on your breast size. what is more important is the impact of your hyperrtrophy on your back and neck and your skin beneath your breasts. Even overweight patients can benifit greatly from reduction.

See my site for previous answers to your question.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift / reduction after weight loss

+3

As long as you are within 15-20 pounds of your goal weight and have been stable there, I see no reason not to proceed with your reduction and lift right now.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Surgery after weight loss

+2

Hi,

Thank you for your question!

Once you have reached a weight which you feel you can steadily maintain, you can proceed with the breast reduction or lift. Ideally, you want to have maintained your weight loss for at least 6 months and be at a steady weight. If you feel you can't maintain your goal weight, you may want to reevaluate things. Gaining and losing weight can have an impact on your results post-op. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to get more individualized advice and go from there. Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck with the remainin few pounds.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

For Breast Surgery After Weight Loss, 6 Months Since Weight Stabilization

+2

Your weight should be stable for 6 months, and then you can consider breast rejuvenation surgery or other body contouring procedures.

Realistically, it will take you another couple of months to lose those last 15 pounds. Then, you should wait 6 more months. So, 8-9 months from now is probably the best time.

There is a big exception: If your large breasts are causing pain, then you could consider a breast reduction now. Then, you would be more easily able to exercise, so that you could lose even more weight. However, the "lift" portion of the breast reduction may not look as attractive after further weight loss. In effect, breast reductions now will optimize comfort but sacrifice cosmesis; waiting might require living with pain for a longer time, but will optimize aesthetics.

Michael C. Pickart, MD
Ventura Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift After Weight Loss

+2

I think its important to make sure your weight loss has been stable for at least 6 months. If you proceed with a breast lift/reduction and then you lose an addition 20, 30, or 40 lbs, you could see some major changes to your breasts. This may require additional surgery. Whereas once your weight has stablized, you will see the best most lasting results.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast Lift or Breast Reduction after Weight Loss

+2

By convention, most breast surgery experts wait 6 months after weight loss has plateaud before performing breast surgery. This time period varies with the degree of skin elasticity. In my practice in Los Angeles, I use a skin resiliency protocol that I developed while working with weight loss patients to determine the best course of action with breast lifts/reductions.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Weight loss and breast reduction

+2

I usually like to have my patients wait 6 months or longer after significant weight loss.  However, if your breasts are not changing in volume too much, you may want to get the ball rolling to get approval for the surgery.

Timing for breast surgery following massive weight loss

+2

I generally believe that a 6 month time period following massive weight loss is a reasonable time period to elapse prior to considering bilateral reduction mammoplasty or mastopexy.

Weight loss and breast surgery

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss! Not only does it increase the chances of a better post-operative result, but it makes for a healthier lifestyle. Good job. As far as scheduling surgery following weight loss--if your weight loss has been gradual (i.e. through diet and exercise as opposed to weight loss surgery), then there's no significant benefit to waiting if you only have 15 more pounds to go. If your weight loss was rapid, then you need to give your skin a chance to recover and waiting at least 12 months is appropriate. I recommend going in for a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring procedures. Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Elan B. Singer, MD

Waiting may not be needed for Breast Reduction or Lift after weight loss

+2

For evolutionary reasons, the breast is a priviliged site in weight loss. It would take an EXTREME weight loss (IE starvation) to result in a deflation of the breast.

Personally, if your weight is rather stable for 4-6 months, I see no need to wait until you lose 15 pounds. I do not think it would greatly impact the size of the breasts in terms of a breast reduction or breast lift.

Good Luck.