How Bad Do Breast Implants Look After Having a Child?

I want breast implants now. I don't have kids yet but want kids. But someone told me the implants don't look as good after pregnancy. Is this true? How bad will it look? Is it better to get them after having a baby?

Pregnancy and breast implants

The implants don't change, although occasionally capuslar contracture can occur with pregnancy. Rather, it is the breast tissue that changes by enlarging, shrinking, or sagging. Changes are not predictable. It is the combination of the breast changes superimposed on the underlying implant that produces the unaesthetic appearance.

Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing exactly how a woman's breasts will change over time and/or with pregnancy. Much of the changes that do occur will depend on factors such as genetics, weight gain/loss, skin elasticity changes, positioning of the breast implants ( for example submuscular versus sub glandular) etc.
Some of the changes in breasts seen after pregnancy are related to the changes in breast skin and glandular size/shape/positioning; some of the changes are related to changes in position of breast implants. Much of the changes that will occur are not within the control of the patient or surgeon. However, maintaining a stable weight during pregnancy ( under the guidance of your OB/GYN) may be helpful.

Breast implants, breast appearance and pregnancy

Hi Britni,

Every woman's breasts respond differently to pregnancy. Some patients with breast implants have multiple children, breast feed all of them, and, as a result, develop droopiness that requires a breast lift. Other patients with implants do the same thing and have virtually no changes in their breasts.

Bottom line - if you are unhappy with the appearance of your breasts and want an augmentation, you should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the pros and cons of surgery. Most women opt to proceed with breast augmentation rather than delay for an arbitrary amount of time.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Breast Implants Before Children

The appearance of breasts with or without augmentation is completely unpredictable following pregnancy and breast feeding. Some women's breasts change minimally whereas others change drastically. I wouldn't let this stop you now. Get the implants and enjoy your new look. When and if things change later you can address it then.

Breast implants after pregnancy

What happens to your breasts with breast implants after pregnancy is most probably related to what would have happened without having breast implants.

1. The breasts may shrink down to the the way they were before the preganacy and look about the same.

2. The breast implants may move into the stretched out breasts adn droop along with the breasts themselves

3. The breast implants may stay where they are and the breasts droop off of the implants.

With 2 and 3 you would probably need some type of breast lift.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants before or after having children.

No one can predict what your breasts will look like after you have children. They can become larger, smaller, sag more, develop large areolae, etc, Therefore it is safest to wait until having children. However, it is not likely that your implants will either change or worsen these problems. It is more likely that whatever would have happened from nursing after implants would have happened without the implants. You will just have to see these changes over the implant rather than without them. It is possible that having implants could interfere with your ability to nurse.

Breast implants after pregnancy

It is hard to predict what any pair of breast will look like after pregnancy. Some look perfectly fine, some look a bit saggy, and still some look awful. I think it is multifactorial:  genetics, weight gain and loss, quality of the tissues, etc..

Breast changes after implants and pregnancy

There is no crystal ball to know how your breasts will change after pregnancy. Those with bigger breasts to start with and in whom greater stretching occurs will have a worse look after pregnancy that those who have less breast tissue. Gravity and lost elasticity work against some more than others.

Breast implants after pregnancy?

Hi:

There is no way to predict what will happen to your breasts after pregnancy and breast feeding. It all depends upon various factors including the response that your breasts have to hormonal changes, initial breast size and other anatomical variations.

My advice is to have your breast augmentation now and understand that you may have to revise your surgery if your breasts change significantly.

Hope this helps.

Breast implants might require a lift after pregnancy

Hello Britni,

What I tell my patients regarding the effect of pregnancy and lactation on breast augmentation:

If you are planning to have a child in the next 6-12 month, it might be better to wait till after childbirth. If you are considering this in the future, it is not uncommon to need a breast lift. I have seen many who did not need it. The changes in your breast during pregnancy are hard to predict but in general you will have a size increase. Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS