Is It Safe to Have Botox Injections While Breastfeeding my 3 Month Old?

Botox while breastfeeding

I would not recommend having Botox or Fillers while breast feeding.  The makers of these products will never likely conduct these studies, and thus I don't think you will find an injector who would do this while you are breast feeding.

The same would be for those patients who are pregnant.  Having said that if a patient came to me and said they were pregnant and recently had an injectable treatment, I would provide reassurance that the likelihood of any adverse event occurring to their baby because of that, however, I would strongly recommend them to pursue any further treatments until after they finish breast feeding.

Wait Until Done Breastfeeding Before Botox

It’s probably not a good idea to undergo botox injections while breast feeding for a variety of reasons.  At this time, there’s no scientific studies that have looked at the effect of botox on either the mother or child.  For these reasons it would be extremely difficult to find a provider who would administer botox to someone who was either pregnant or breast feeding.  

While there are no studies to confirm or deny the effects of Botox on Pregnancy and Lactation ( breast feeding), Ethical Practitioners who regularly inject Botox would not do so on a person who is pregnant or breast feeding.

Is It Safe to Have Botox Injections While Breastfeeding my 3 Month Old

There are no studies to justify the usage of Botox on pregnant or lactating mothers.  It is doubtful that you could find someone to inject you with Botox.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

It would be difficult to find a physician of any specialty to inject a lactating or pregnant mother with Botox.  There is not enough known about the possible effects and there have been no studies to date concerning this issue.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Breastfeeding

I do not administer Botox to pregnant or lactating (breast-feeding) patients.  We do not know whether it is safe or not and studies to answer these questions clearly have ethical concerns.  When you are no longer pregnant and are done breastfeeding, I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist for consultation for possible Botox treatment.

There is no information on this

Most doctors avoid administering Botox to pregnant or lactating patients. It might be safe, but it is difficult to design an ethical study that would investigate this question.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Safety of Botulinium toxin injection during breastfeeding

Since no young mother will subject their babies to a clinical trial to find out whether there is any side effects with botox injection, we will never know the exact answer. As a mother myself, I think this is a small sacrifice as compare to whatelse we do for our children, since there is minimal risk of delaying botox injections.

Dr. Zhu

Isabel Zhu, MD, PhD
Boulder Dermatologist

The package insert for Botox, while giving the usual "it is not known if Botox is excreted in human milk" does give off a pretty stern warning about its use in pregnancy. In rabbits Botox caused maternal toxicity, abortions and fetal malformations. Allergan suggests pregnant women be told of these severe problems in rabbits.
In medicine, we always do a quick risk/benefit analysis, whether consciously or not. When we look at the risk benefit here, there is no question you should opt for the conservative and wait until you have stopped nursing.
Enjoy your motherhood.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Safety of Botox while breastfeeding

I agree with the others.  When there is no data available to guide us, we have to recommend the safest option which in this case is not to have Botox treatments while breast feeding.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist