Is It Safe to Have Botox Injections While Breastfeeding my 3 Month Old?

+1
While there are no studies to confirm or deny the effects of Botox on Pregnancy and Lactation ( breast feeding), Ethical Practitioners who regularly inject Botox would not do so on a person who is pregnant or breast feeding.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Is It Safe to Have Botox Injections While Breastfeeding my 3 Month Old

+1

There are no studies to justify the usage of Botox on pregnant or lactating mothers.  It is doubtful that you could find someone to inject you with Botox.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

+1

It would be difficult to find a physician of any specialty to inject a lactating or pregnant mother with Botox.  There is not enough known about the possible effects and there have been no studies to date concerning this issue.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Breastfeeding

+1

I do not administer Botox to pregnant or lactating (breast-feeding) patients.  We do not know whether it is safe or not and studies to answer these questions clearly have ethical concerns.  When you are no longer pregnant and are done breastfeeding, I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist for consultation for possible Botox treatment.

Channing R. Barnett, MD

There is no information on this

+1

Most doctors avoid administering Botox to pregnant or lactating patients. It might be safe, but it is difficult to design an ethical study that would investigate this question.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Safety of Botulinium toxin injection during breastfeeding

+1

Since no young mother will subject their babies to a clinical trial to find out whether there is any side effects with botox injection, we will never know the exact answer. As a mother myself, I think this is a small sacrifice as compare to whatelse we do for our children, since there is minimal risk of delaying botox injections.

Dr. Zhu

Isabel Zhu, MD, PhD
Boulder Dermatologist

Wait

+1

Congratulations.

The package insert for Botox, while giving the usual "it is not known if Botox is excreted in human milk" does give off a pretty stern warning about its use in pregnancy. In rabbits Botox caused maternal toxicity, abortions and fetal malformations. Allergan suggests pregnant women be told of these severe problems in rabbits.
In medicine, we always do a quick risk/benefit analysis, whether consciously or not. When we look at the risk benefit here, there is no question you should opt for the conservative and wait until you have stopped nursing.
Enjoy your motherhood.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Safety of Botox while breastfeeding

+1

I agree with the others.  When there is no data available to guide us, we have to recommend the safest option which in this case is not to have Botox treatments while breast feeding.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Botox during Breast Feeding

+1

No Botox while breast feeding.

BOTOX® Cosmetic is a very common cosmetic procedure, especially in young woman of child-bearing age. A concern which always comes up is the timing of Botox around pregnancy or breast feeding.

The current recommendation is not to have any elective procedure, including Botox, if you are pregnant or about to become pregnant, or breastfeeding. If a patient becomes pregnant after injection the potential risks, which have only been observed in rabbits, include abortion or fetal malformations.

A safe answer would be

• wait at least 4 months after your last injection before trying to become pregnant
  • absolutely no Botox while pregnant
  • absolutely no Botox while breast feeding

Speak to your Ob/Gyn or pediatrician about your concerns.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox while breastfeeding not recommended

+1

It is a natural question. BOTOX cosmetic has not been investigated for its safety when breast feeding. We have no reason to believe that it would be a problem. However, responsible physician will not inject you until you are done breast feeding. We simply don't have enough information to say that this practice is safe. If you needed BOTOX for a medical reason, the unknown risks would be weighed by the treating physician against the potential benefits. However, because the potential benefit of BOTOX cosmetic is looking better, virtually any risk to the health of our baby is not worth the small benefit of looking a little better for a few months. The safest course is waiting until your baby is weaned and then have treatment.