I Have a 8mm Overjet with No Skeletal Deformity, Can I Get Invisalign?

I've had two orthodontists look at me, one says I can do Invisalign, the other says not to waste my money. My overjet is 8mm, protrusion is 8%. I only ever developed 13 teeth on the bottom, but have no gaps as a result. I'd be happy with a 50% improvement. Will invisalign work for me or do I need conventional braces?

Overbite correction with Invisalign

+2

If your overbite is that extensive Invisalign might not be the best option. It would only be able to decrease the overbite slightly so it really depends on what your end goal is. They would also have to evaluate if tooth extraction is an option to fully correct the overbite.

New York Orthodontist

8 mm overjet and Invisalign

+1

Based on your missing lower tooth I'm going to list two general treatment approaches:

• Opening space to replace the missing tooth could go a long way in fixing your overjet. Whether Invisalign is a possibility depends on which tooth it is, and how the adjacent teeth line up.
  • If you are not planning to replace the missing tooth, then it may be possible to decrease the overjet by moving the upper teeth back with IPR, with Invisalign.

So it really depends what the treatment goals are before we can choose the orthodontic appliance. I would suggest having your doctors show you an example of a similar treated case to get a better idea what to expect.

Rob van den Berg, DDS, MS
San Ramon Orthodontist