360cc Breast Implants to Get C Cups?

I'm scheduled for Breast Augmentation surgery in a week. I'm 5'1" and 100 lbs, currently a large A cup / small B as my surgeon calls it, and I want to be a full C cup.

He's thinking about a size 300cc saline moderate profile implant filled to about 360cc. First off, is that too much of overfilling? And second, is that too big of an implant for me to achieve my desired results?

Breast implant size?

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Bra Cup Sizing is NOT Helpful

First, overinflating a 300 cc implant by 20% (to 360 cc) is fine. I usually overinflate by 10-20%.

Second, what is a C cup? I don't really know. Nobody does. Sears thinks it's smaller than Target, who thinks it's smaller than Victoria's Secret, who thinks it's smaller than Frederick's of Hollywood. There is NO STANDARDIZATION.

Why don't you find some photos of what you would like to look like. Then, bring them to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Discuss what you like, and he'll tell you whether he thinks your desires are realistic. Engage him. Numbers and cups don't mean nearly as much as you getting the "look" that you want.

Michael C. Pickart, MD
Ventura Plastic Surgeon

Clear communication is critical!

The question of breast implant size is always difficult for prospective breast augmentation patients.In this case, it’s virtually impossible to answer the question of breast size without more information.Without pictures or a physical examination, it would only be guesswork.
For this reason, multiple approaches are utilized to make this determination preoperatively.These include reviewing magazines, photographs, external sizers, and recently the 3D Vectra computer imaging system, to name a few.
Even when tremendous care is taken preoperatively to determine breast size, the final decision needs to be made in the Operating Room by the surgeon.At this point, an assessment can be made regarding how the patient’s breast tissue interacts with the breast implant.Occasionally, obtaining a specific size doesn’t allow the surgeon to meet the patient’s other aesthetic goals.For this reason, locking into a specific size isn’t always a good idea.Results are better when a surgeon has the ability to make adjustments in the Operating Room.
In your case, I think it’s important to thoroughly discuss your aesthetic goals with your surgeon.Make sure he has the latitude to do what’s best for you in the Operating Room, so he can meet your aesthetic goals.It’s important that you have an approximate idea of the breast implant size that you’re considering, but don’t become married to an absolute number.It’s also important to note that implants are frequently overfilled.This is done in an effort to minimize the appearance of ripples.

Implant size

I use a technique called dimensional breast augmentation which involves taking in a number of factors and measurements, so each patient is unique. That being said, given your height, weight, and your activity level, along with the fact you are considering a lift, I would say you are probably not that far off in choosing an implant in that range. Best thing to do is to see a qualified plastic surgeon that has good breast expertise.

Cup size hard to predict after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Breast implant sizing is best done based on your biometric measurements of your chest and breast, and utilization of a breast implant sizing system.

Your goal should be to achieve the look that you want and not focus on cup size. Different brands of bra size cups differently so that a C cup in 1 store can be a B cup or a D cup in the difference store. Consult your plastic surgeon for a further discussion of sizing.

Implant Selection Process

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection to replace an in office exam and good communication with a board certified plastic surgeon.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

360cc to achieve goals?

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Will 360cc saline implants result in a C cup?

The question about overfilling implants is the easier question to answer. Saline implants can be overfilled to at least 10 - 20% over the labeled size. In fact it is advisable to overfill the implants somewhat to avoid rippling and folding of the implant. Obviously too much of an overfill might put too much tension on the implant and cause problems as well.

Cup size is a different story and as the other surgeons have indicated, cup size is not an exact measurement as we have seen a "C" by one manufacturer and style can be a "B" by another. The final size and shape of your breasts after augmentation depends upon your chest size, initial breast size and shape, the location of the breast implant ( sub-muscular vs. sub-glandular), and the size and shape of the implant.

Hope his helps.

Breast augmentation, fat grafting, silicone implants, breast sizing

Dear Robbie, the best way to determine implant size is with sizers and good guidance from your surgeon. The saline implants can be overfilled as per the guidlines by the manufacturer..the amount of overfill has a strict guideline.

The larger the implant the more your breasts will look like implants and you may have more palpable or visible rippling.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Breast implant sizing

Volume alone is not the best way to predict your final post augmentation size. I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
  2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.