Can 300cc or 275cc Breast Implants Give Same Effect As 325cc?

I'm scheduled to get a breast augmentation this Wednesday and am still wondering if I chose the correct size. I'm 5'7", 123 lbs. I'm a small A with 30" chest diameter. Usually wear 34A. I'd like to be a small C and chose 325cc moderate pluse unders. I'm wondering if 300cc or even 275cc would be a better choice, or would that be too small for my height and chest width? Just looking for input. Thank you!

275 vs 325 cc?

+3

With silicone implants, most of my patients with relatively narrow chest walls like yours prefer High Profile implants when the volume gets over 300 cc or so (Mentor).  The appearance is more sleek and youthful.  My patients and I do see the subtle differences 25 cc can make, not to mention 50 cc changes.  Overall, it seems that you have not spent enough time with implant sizers to solidify your goals.  

Implant Size Issues

+2
It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape of implant that will get you the results you desire without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts).
My advice is to accept advice from your board certified plastic surgeon after a formal consultation and examination with measurements.. If still confused don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Choosing the size

+2

You should never choose the size of the implant but instead choose the look that you want. The easiest way to decided on the best look is to show some photos. If you show a natural breast vs. a fake looking breast, your ps should be able to take that information and put it together with the breast tissue you have and your measurements and come up with an exact size that will fit you. If you are trying to decide on the ccs based on what your friend, family member, or someone on the internet has, you won't be happy with the result since just as your 2 breasts are different, every woman in the world has different breasts. Don't focus on the ccs. That is for us!

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection

+2

There will be a different effect/size with the use of the smaller implants.   Based on your height and weight, it seems that 325 would be a good choice, but your surgeon is the one who can tell more based on your chestwall and breast measurements.

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection to replace an in office exam and good communication with a board certified plastic surgeon.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implant Size

+2

It is common for a patient to have second thoughts on the day of breast augmentation surgery in terms of the ultimate size and profile of the implants. At this point, you have had a thorough conversation with the board certified plastic surgeon regarding your lifestage, lifestyle, medical condition, and objectives.  I am sure that the surgeon's recommendation takes into account these factors as well as the size and proportion of your breasts. At this point if you are comfortable with the surgeon, then go with his/her expertise and experience.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast implants

+2

The best person to answer this question would of course be your surgeon. No one here could really give you an accurate answer without seeing you. But 325 isn't that big and you are a taller person. As far as your question, can 325 give the same effect as 275 or 300 , well of course no.

David E. Kim, MD

One size difference

+2

The difference between the two sizes is less than an ounce. I would usually go with the bigger implant but my preference is to have both sizes available and use a sizer at  the time of surgery. If your tissue will accept the larger implant and it looks okay, then I use that size. Talk if over with your surgeon.

Richard Linderman, MD

Implant size and breast augmentation

+2

Given your frame size, I don't think 325cc breast implants would be too big.  If you want to be a small C cup, I believe you will be very close with this size implant.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Can 300cc or 275cc breast implants give same efect as a 325cc?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Given your desires, a breast augmentation, with an implant or fat grafting, would be an ideal procedure that would meet your expectations. Breast augmentation is now the most popular procedure performed in plastic surgery today. One tolerated very well by women with minimal downtime and high patient satisfaction.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, etc). Your height, weight, breast width, and body habitus will make a difference for which implant style/projection to choose. Implant profile will also make a difference on the projection, which will influence overall breast/cup size. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you of results. Sizers are helpful during an in-office consultation. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. This is the most important determinant for the sizing of implants, which will provide the optimal result and most aesthetically-pleasing result for you.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various options and factors to consider and help you decide which one will be the right one for you. Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Implant Size

+1
Some plastic surgeons will say that 25 to 50 cc's don't matter much. In small women it can make a difference. Just as important as the # of cc's is the shape of the implant. Biodimensional planning principals will  allow your surgeon to make decisions about breast implant size, shape and position. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon