26 is Too Young for Mid Face Lift?

The past couple years my cheeks have fallen, leaving my under eyes partially hallowed and folds around my mouth. My cheeks are now beginning to rest around my mouth and jowl area. I feel much older. I decided to get filler (radiesse) in my cheeks, which I fell helped 20%. Radiesse only attempted to fill in my upper face but ignores the new mass that is my lower face. Is a midface lift is what I need? It puts the pad (my cheeks) back on my cheekbones and out of my lower face. Am I a candidate?

Midface Lift at 26

+1

A midface lift at 26 may have little effect, but this would be hard to determine without an exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Face Lift vs. Facial Fillers

+1

With “non surgical face lift” or “liquid face lift” using fillers, the definition of when to have a face lift becomes unclear. For most cosmetic surgeons, a facelift is a surgical procedure to address loose skin and deeper tissue which results in descent of the cheeks, loss of definition of the jawline and loose skin under the chin. Facial aging is a combination of volume loss of bone, muscle and fat in the face as well as descent of the soft tissue (skin and underlying support). Too many people who would benefit from facelift surgery are hesitant because of misinformation about the level of risk involved with face lift surgery. These same people go continuously to a physician who is “saving them from a facelift” using expensive fillers which help some of the volume loss but does nothing for the descent. As an Oculofacial Plastic & reconstructive cosmetic surgeon operating in New York, I educate my patients about the facial aging process and work with them on deciding the best time to do a facelift and the best options for facial rejuvenation that will preserve their unique characteristics. While you are still very young, a consultation with a specialized doctor helps to address your individual anatomy, health and personal desires. Attached is a video I answered on "When to have a facelift?" Check out my YouTube channel for other videos on facelift.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Seek a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon for Consultation

+1

Pictures would help me tell, but I generally say that people of this age group in general do not need  a mid or other type of facelift unless there is a familial or congenital problem or tendency. Fillers (which you have tried) and fat injections may be good alternatives. If you think that something more drastic is needed, I would recommend you seeking the recommendation of a board-certified plastic surgeons for a consultation.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Mid face lift at 26

+1

in general most 26 year old people do not need a mid face lift

with that said some (few) may benefit

you might be one of them

i agree that throwing fillers and or fat injections at the upper cheek to camafloug true cheek descent does not address the real issue (and thus a cheek lift/mid face lfit may make sense)

an other consideration is a well executed brow lift with dissection down to the zygmatic arch, this elevates the temple athe contiguous soft tissues in the cheek and can correct some of the problems it sounds like you are having

need photos and/or exam to tell for sure

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Mid face lift

+1

Impossible to tell without seeing photos. However, especially considering your age, it sounds to me that you are overly critical of your appearance and I suspect it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.One's thing's pretty certain however.  You will not have a difficult time finding someone willing to give you what you want.  You should get a few consults with board certified plastic surgeons.  My personal opinion, however, is that the mid face lift by itself is a generally worthless procedure and especially at your age probably not going to be anything but a collosal  waste of money.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Fallen cheeks at age 26

+1

Although it is hard to tell without seeing your pictures what you are describing is likely to be improved with fat grafting to the cheeks, such as in the link below

Sam Naficy, MD

26 is Too Young for Mid Face Lift?

+1

I'd be surprised if you indeed had enough facial laxity, at 26, to require a Face lift of any kind...let alone the more invasive Mid face lift.  It's very common in the 30's and 40's to have facial tissues sag and fall off the cheeks.  This is an indication of a lack of adequate cheek bone volume to support that tissue.  

Far easier to have some Perlane or even Cheek Implants to create the proper aesthetically shaped cheek then to go through an invasive Face Lift.  Save that for when you have significant Jowls.  I'm not a fan of the Mid Face Lift as it, IMHO, has the tendency to elevate the corners of the eyes and mouth in an unaesthetic manner.  

Be sure the plastic and cosmetic surgeon,you select, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.  Pulling things back where they once were isn't the answer to natural beauty, IMHO...it's creating the correct aesthetic shape that natural beauty represents.

Midface lift at 26?

+1

I am a big midface lift fan. 26 might be a bit young though it is not your age that matters but rather your anatomy. Other things to consider might be cheek implants if you need more upper cheek support which will help reduce the drooping of the lower cheek. midface lifts are done several different ways with different results. Make sure that whoever you see makes sense to you. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

26 too young for facelift

+1

A lot depends on your anatomy.  Without examing your skin quality, my first instinct is to recommend fillers/fat transfer for patients in this young age group.

Michael A. Fallucco, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Is 26 too young for a Mid Face Lift?

+1

There is no set age to have a midface lift, per se. Twentysix seems young but if your anatomy has changed as described, you may benefit from this procedure. Photographs would be very helpful.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon