I'm 25 Years Old So Why Do I Keep Getting Acne? (photo)

I have an oily skin. I regularly use oil-free cleansers and make up. One year ago a doctor prescribed me a 3 boxes of "zithromax" "obagi gel cleanser #1" and the PDL laser and I've experienced a good results. Now acne started to come back again and all my hormones all well balanced. Two dermatologists adviced me to take "accutane" however i dont feel my skin is that bad for me to take it... What shall I do?

Adults also get acne

+2

Adult acne, especially adult female acne, is a very common condition.  Acne in adults is generally less severe than what teens get but tends to be chronic lasting into the 40s.  Acne has a variety of causes including genetic, hormonal problems, and there is some evidence that stress, and a high sugar diet may make it worse.  Accutane is the only medicine that potentially cures acne in some people.  It may be the best choice if other things don't work.

Never too old for acne

+2

Acne can be totally cleared at one point in your life and then return again so don't feel this is something you did that caused it to return.  Good skin care with exfoliating washes, the appropriate topical medications as well as considering a short course of systemic antibiotics would be the appropriate first step.   Treatment with PDL or BBL is very beneficial, but most insurance companies don't cover it.  If there tends to be a stress related or period related breakout, ask your doctor about blocking that bit of hormone surge with spironolactone which can be taken around your periods.  I can't see your entire face but would certainly consider Accutane if you did not respond to the above steps.  The important thing is to get started with a program and work with your doctor to get your skin back under control.

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne occurs at any age

+2

Acne is absolutely not just for teenagers. Nor is it always related to hormone imbalances. If you have tried multiple avenues and still have acne, Accutane might not be a bad idea. It's really the only true "cure" for acne.