Mole growing in size and changing colour. Should I be worried? (photos)

I have a mole on my shoulder ever since I can remember. But in the past month it has grown in size and changed colour.

I'm 18, have blonde hair, fair skin, freckles and my dad had a melanoma when he was younger. Should I be worried?

Mole is growing and changing color

+1
Anytime a mole is growing or changing, I suggest it should be evaluated in person by a dermatologist. The ABCDEs need to be used when examining your skin, and in this case, 2 of the 5 are happening, so you need to make an appointment to have it checked properly.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Mole growing in size and changing color

+1
Any time a mole is changing, to be safe, you should be carefully evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance. Your photo indicates there is some asymmetry and with your family history of melanoma and your fair complexion you may have an increased risk. So you should definitely have this mole checked.
You can follow the video link to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon