12 Days Post Eyelid Surgery: Left Eyelid Feels Like It's Scratching Eyeball - Is This Normal?

Post-op, my left side had more swelling and bruising than the right. The vision in my left eye is a little blurry, and it's still a little dry. My right eye is also dry, but no blurry vision. I still have swelling in both eyes. My concern is that my left eyelid feels like it's scratching my eyeball, especially when my eye is closed. It also burns a little in the same areas where I feel the scratching, but it is not bloodshot. It's only my left eye that is experiencing problems.

Irritation after Eyelid Surgery

+2

Contact your surgeon, as soon as possible.

Have your eye examined to be sure that you are not having irritation of the cornea.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Scratchy eye ball feeling 12 days after Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery can be Corneal Abrasion or Dry Eye

+1

Corneal Abrasion after Blepharoplasty is usually caused by the Corneal Shields-protective covers placed on the eye during surgery to prevent eye injury. Corneal Abrasion causes pain and a foreign body sensation-like a "stick in the eye" and is very uncomfortable. Corneal Abrasion symptoms occur immediately after Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery, so this is unlikely in your case.

Scratchy feeling 12 days after Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery is most likely due to Dry Eye. After Blepharoplasty the eyelids usually do not close properly and especially at night when you are sleeping the Cornea-the part of the eyeball covering the iris-the colored part of the eye-drys out during the night. This is why most doctors require that you use a lubricant such as Lacrilube to place on the eyeball before sleep at night to prevent drying of the eye while you sleep.

Dry eye can be a very serious problem and you need to see your doctor. He/she will likely do a Flourescein Dye examination to check to see if your Cornea is healthy or whether there is a Corneal Abrasion or Corneal Ulcer caused by dryness. If so the eye may need to be patched and treated with medication until lid closure improves.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Scratchy sensation after eyelid surgery

+1

The scratchy sensation, afte your eyelid surgery, could be a corneal irritation from dry eye.  You should contact yopur surgeon for evaluation and recommended treatment with lubricating drops and/or ointment.  If the problem persists or worsens ask your surgeon for a referral to an opthalmologist.

Scratchy sensation 12 days after eyelid surgery

+1

A "scratchy" sensation is after a blepharoplasty should be inspected by the surgeon or an opthalmologist.  It may a normal finding but could indicate dryness or a corneal abrasion.  Typically artificial tears as well as eye lubricant can help improve symptoms.  It is very important to note if there is complete eyelid closure as this can result in the need for repair of the procedure.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Itching eyeball after eyelid surgery

+1

After any eyelid surgery, it is very important to keep your eyes moist.  You can use over the counter eyedrops or ointment or special preparations from your surgeon.  In most cases, you will just need these medications for a few days to week to ensure that your eye is kept moist.  Very rarely, your eye can have a very superficial scratch on it which may feel like an itch or may even be uncomfortable.  In these cases, you may need a special antibiotic ointment to help the area heal.  If you have any concerns about your healing or especially your vision, you should talk to or see your surgeon right away.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Scratching feeling after blepharoplasty

+1

The problem is most likely dry eyes, and using artificial tears and lubricating ointment should help. However, a corneal abrasion is also a possibility, and you should have an evaluation by an ophthalmologist.

Maurice M. Khosh, MD

Eye scratching feeling

+1

It sound slike you may have a corneal abrasion. You should contact your surgeon and be evaluated.  It could be a combination of swelling and eyes not completely closing.

Pain and discomfort after eyelid surgery

+1

There is a small risk of damage to cornea from dryness. I would recommend starting on artificial tears until the dryness and scratching sensation pass off, for both eyes. You should also see an Ophthalmologist if it does not settle quickly.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

You Should Contact Your Surgeon if there is Pain after Surgery.

+1

When there is discomfort and blurriness after Ptosis surgey, it is usually due to a problem with the cornea. Ocassionally a the internal suture that is used to lift the eyelid can penetrate the eyelid and cause a corneal abrasion.

Another cause could be that the eyelid is swollen and not closing all the way. This can cause a dry spot on the cornea.

If your surgeon is an Oculoplastic Surgeon, he or she is qualified to evaluate and treat this problem. If not, it is probably a good idea to see an Opthalmologist.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

This is not that unusual.

+1

However, I would strongly advise you to have your surgeon examine your eyes for this issue.  If you had surgery with someone who is a general plastic surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon, please recognize that they lack the necessary equipment to actually examine your eyes and determine why your eyes are uncomfortable.  If the eyes do not respond to artificial tear drops and bedtime ointment, a referral to an oculoplastic surgeon or cornea specialist may be appropriate.