Is 11 days too long to wait for suture removal on the upper and lower eyelid surgery?

I have read dr comments that 5 days is long enough for suture removal.

Eyelid Surgery - Correct Number Of Days To Remove Sutures

Your RealSelf team of expert plastic surgeons all agree each surgeon has his or her own protocol for suture removal.  

That being said, if you have a choice, I would recommend you have them removed earlier.  In my practice, all eyelid sutures are out in 3 days.  It has been my experience, due to the rapid healing in eyelid tissue, epithelized tunnels are created when sutures are left in too long.  These tunnels must be surgically removed and eye makeup and other debris can fill these tunnels appearing like microscopic blackheads. 

It depends on surgical technique

If the skin is cut with radiofrequency or blade, sutures can come out earlier. But if a CO2 laser is used, although there is less bruising and swelling in the early period, the skin edges have been heated, and can take a bit longer to heal. Laser incision sutures can be removed at 10-12 days without any problem. The eyelid skin is so thin that suture tunnels do not occur. I have never seen suture tunnels in eyelids in 23 years of oculoplastic surgery.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid suture removal

I remove blepharoplasty sutures between 3-5 days postoperatively.  I agree that every surgeon has his own protocol but 11 days is excessive and poses risks in terms of scarring.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

11 days should not be too long for the sutures to stay in.

Most of the non-dissolvable sutures that are used in a blepharoplasty are very non-inflammatory.  So if they stay in for 11 days you should have no problem.  Most surgeons try to take out the sutures once the wound is healed enough that it will stay closed after removal. If the surgery was done with a CO2 laser, the sutures are usually kept in an extra day or two.  Or if you have a lot of edema, your surgeon may want to keep them in a little longer than usual.  I think that  most surgeons remove the sutures anywhere from 6-10 days post-op.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid suture removal

Most surgeons use permanent sutures which are typically removed between four and seven days after eyelid surgery. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sutures remaining after blepharoplasty

11 days seems excessive for sutures to remain after blepharoplasty The usual time for removal is 5 to 6 days . Leaving them longer means they become more embedded and excessive scarring could result. Your surgeon should arrange to have sutures removed before 11 days.

I agree totally with Dr Somia's comments.  When sutures should be removed is a function if the technique used and without an exam I would be guessing

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Sadly there in no one size fits all.
It depends on the type of suture material used and the technique used.
Each Surgeon has a different strategy based on many factors, so its best to check with your Surgeon.
In some patients I have left some sutures for upto 2 weeks following upper and lower eyelid surgery

Lid sutures

in my practice are removed between 3 and 5 days, primarily to avoid the development of small whitehead (milia) or scars from the sutures themselves.  But its done at the risk of the wound separating but it has never been a problem for me.

Curtis Wong, MD

Suture removal after upper eyelid surgery

Every surgeon has a different operative technique and protocol for when they prefer to remove sutures after eyelid surgery.  Typically sutures can usually be removed between 5-7 days after surgery.  If the sutures are removed too early, the healing incision is weak and can easily open up.  While 11 days is on the longer side for for suture removal, eyelid skin is very thin and incisions typically heal very well in most patients.

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon